Won't gape--but need to give meds

Lovereps

Avid Member
My cham will not gape, even if I touch him, so how can I get his mouth open to administer medicine?
He is not eating.

Have you tried a favorite treat, like a superworm perhaps? If it will eat a treat, you can put the syringe into its mouth while chewing.

If your chameleon is a Jackson's like your avatar suggests, you can grab his rostril horn with your thumb and forefinger and push his mouth open with your middle finger, then put the syringe towards the back of his mouth and gently inject the medicine.

If he's not eating, you might want to get some nutrition going too. I know some here have force fed crickets and there are "supplements" you can buy. It's just a thought. I don't know how long he's been off food.

Thanks, everyone!

I'm grateful for all the caring responses.
SSimsswiSS, the fingers over the nostrils worked like a charm.
He's a stubborn little guy and nothing else worked.
I was afraid of hurting him and doing more harm than good.
Thompson, all efforts to irritate him failed, so he must be feeling quite poorly.
Monties1982 , my Jackson's is OK, it's my Fischer's who's having health issues.
Elizadolots, I'm sure I'll have to force feed him, if he doesn't resume eating soon.
ChamOh, I'd be delighted if he would take a super or anything else, but he has no appetite at present.
Thanks, again, for your helpful replies.

Since I have fischer's and I know how they are so even tempered...and reluctant to gape...I use the throat pinch method; left hand cradles chameleon with palm over the spine and index finger holding rostrals back, while right index and thumb GENTLY pull gular skin in opposite direction of rostrals. The cham will then open its mouth more willingly and another person can squirt meds, water, and/or food items. I've found that it's much easier to have the help of another person in order to administer meds. You can focus more on being gentle and reducing stress while the other person focuses on dosage and not getting bitten.;)

Just the way I do it, hope it helps!

Chameleons are usually so easy to get meds into! Then there are those few that won't gape no mater what you do. All of the suggestions mentioned are fine, and another way is to use a popsicle stick or a credit card to GENTLY force the mouth open. A second person is helpful no matter which way you go.

Back
Top Bottom