wobbly chameleon

awh53

hi am fairly new to chameleons (have other reptiles)
i have a female veiled chameleon as she walks she seems to wobble and sometimes loses her grip and partly falls
any ideas what it could be
have booked a visit for tomorrow to see exotic vet
age unknown had her for two weeks
handle her most days as is very tame
size body 4.5 inches (not including tail)
feeding 6 brown crickets (medium) dusted with komodo cricket dust(5 days) nutradol (2days)
cage type wooden with large vent across back
viv size 2 ft long two ft wide 3ft high (vent 1 ftx 2ft)
temps at basking 84f 60 watt household spotlight floor temp 70f
uv repti glo 5%
plants plastic/silk
wooden branches
waterfall in to help with humidity warm spray three times a day
fecal fairly solid

i am in west cumbria (just below scotland) in the uk
picture of her is my avatar

Perhaps nothing is wrong. Do you realize that chams normally rock from side to side as they move forward? Many of us call it the leaf walk, as they are said to be imitating a leaf, swaying in the breeze.
As for the falling, in your avatar, she is walking on the screen. If she is slipping while on the screen, it may simply be that her nails don't really fit through the tiny screen holes--or she may be missing some toenails. If she is slipping and nearly falling off of branches, that's different.
You should have 2 types of calcium, 1 without D3 for most days and the other with D3 for 1 or 2x a month (same applies to multivitamin 1-2 times monthly.)
I'm not familiar with Nutradol did you mean Nutrobal?
The waterfall is lovely I'm sure, but I have read a number of times that they are quite difficult to keep very clean--chams may use them as a toilet ;)
If your vet is an expert on reptiles, then you may wish to discuss supplementation with him.
Too much is very bad and can cause serious harm to your cham.
Please let us know what the vet says.

Perhaps nothing is wrong. Do you realize that chams normally rock from side to side as they move forward? Many of us call it the leaf walk, as they are said to be imitating a leaf, swaying in the breeze.
As for the falling, in your avatar, she is walking on the screen. If she is slipping while on the screen, it may simply be that her nails don't really fit through the tiny screen holes--or she may be missing some toenails. If she is slipping and nearly falling off of branches, that's different.
You should have 2 types of calcium, 1 without D3 for most days and the other with D3 for 1 or 2x a month (same applies to multivitamin 1-2 times monthly.)
I'm not familiar with Nutradol did you mean Nutrobal?
The waterfall is lovely I'm sure, but I have read a number of times that they are quite difficult to keep very clean--chams may use them as a toilet ;)
If your vet is an expert on reptiles, then you may wish to discuss supplementation with him.
Too much is very bad and can cause serious harm to your cham.
Please let us know what the vet says.

Perhaps, she is loaded with eggs, not getting enough calcium or UVB and has MBD. If the AV is a photo of the cham in question, she is in trouble.

Please post more pics. What lighting are you using? Please remove the waterfall. It harbors bacteria from dead crickets, poop or whatever falls into it.

Take a look at this site: Link.This will tell you a lot of what you need to know. Read it carefully and in it's entirety.

Good luck!

Summoner12

I absolutely agree that she may have MBD, be gravid, or have had too little UVB or improper supplementation--or all of the above.To my older eyes, nothing is discernable from avatar pics--they're just too darned small--and I'm glad that you can determine something from them. (BTW, that is NOT sarcasm.)
Notice in my post that I: a) post a good supplementation schedule, b)ask questions about his supplement "Nutradol", c) suggest he speak with the vet about supplements d) warn him about unsanitary waterfalls and e) ask him to let us know what the vet says.
I believe that his "Nutradol" is a misspelling of Nutrobal--which is a vitamin/ mineral supplement.
He said that he was a relative newcomer to chams and not everyone knows their "leaf walk".
My italicization was on the word perhaps--in case he was unfamiliar with it.
Since he's in a northern part of the UK, it's safe to assume she's an indoor cham and, unless "Nutradol" contains D3, she's at the very least lacking that--not that vitamins should be given 2x weekly, anyway!

Certainly it would be best if he posts detailed answers to all of the "How to ask for help questions", especially if his vet isn't an expert on reptiles.
Just look at the poor cham whom Laurie took to a vet. That vet denied the fact that the cham was gravid, and told her that there was a mass in the lungs--BOTH wrong :eek:

awh53, as you can see, there are plenty here who are interested in helping you correct any husbandry issues you might have, so your cham can lead a long, healthy life.

ok been to the vet with her first have been told she is nearly fully grown she is gravid i am not to pleased about this and wont be keeping the eggs lousey pet shop if she has not laid in the next two weeks back to vet

she also has slight mbd and have to give her liquid calcium the vet thinks the mbd is caused by her being gravid and poor care in the pet shop and the mbd should improve once the liquid calcium starts working and she drops the eggs
cant thank my vet enough. consultation and 4 x rays only £37.00p and finaly 10 minutes trying to trace who had hold of her as all the staff wanted to hold her as she did not strop or hiss she took it all in her stride

at least now i know what the problem is and hopefuly it will improve
thanks for all your replies
waterfall taken out replaced with a big box of moist play sand
also nutrabal has d3 in it told to dust all her food in it not calcium for time being and to find a supplement with d3 and Vit a

Back
Top Bottom