Will this be ok?

Kighla

I have a 20 gallon long glass aquarium I was going to house a snake in. It has a heating pad and I have a uv strip light on top. The whole snake thing fell through (the breeder hasn't contacted me in forever) and I was thinking about maybe getting a male veiled chameleon, because I heard the females are hard to keep alive (due to laying eggs). I went to a pet warehouse and they have these attachments that can go on top of tanks, they're like basically putting another aquarium on top of the one you already have but its made of wire. Do you think if I put on of those on top of my twenty gallon long (so it'd be a 40 gallon long, I guess) it'd be enough to house a veiled chameleon? I saw a baby at the pet store and they said since it's so little they recommended keeping it in a glass tank until it's a little bigger, but I want to know if that whole idea would work out at all and if so for how long. I'm hoping it'd be enough for when it grows all the way up, but I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be.

Well it depends on the age of the chameleon. Basically, I wouldn't have a glass cage for a baby because they are very sensitive to stagnant humidity and it will develop a URI. For a 5 month old, I would say it would be ok to have glass cage bottom and a screen top attachment. Though I do not think a 20/40 gallon cage is large enough for an adult veiled. Those are just my opinions because I have never done it nor have I heard much about people keeping veileds like this. So...definitely not for the baby, possibly from 5 months to a year, but I am not sure on the adult.

-chris

I have always used glass tanks for babies up to 4 or 5 months of age with no problems....but be aware that I live in a cool climate. I have had about a 95% survival rate for veileds doing this.

I have been keeping/raising/breeding/hatching veileds for well over 10 years. My veiled females generally live to be over 6 years old and the males even older. I have never had one develop a URI. I keep the adults in glass cages that have screen lids and doors.

Last edited:
The way i see it, if you aren't going to put them in correct enclosures, you dont need to be buying a chameleon. I bearded dragon might be a better option for you.

Yeah, you really can't use a glass aquarium for a veiled chameleon.
Once it gets to be an adult, it will need something that is, at the least, 48" high (SCREEN)...you really can't go too big for an adult cham. I wouldn't even waste your money on an aquarium topper like that. If you are serious about purchasing a chameleon, PLEASE do some reasearch and do NOT listen to what they tell you at the pet store. Petstores tend to send people home with all of the wrong everything, and those people end up with a dead, or very unhealthy, chameleon.

If you have questions, people here will be glad to help you.

You also don't want to use any sort of a heat pad for a cham. Bad idea.

If you are worried about money, check out a Reptarium. I use them, and I think they're great. But as I said before, please research chameleons before you buy one. They have a lot of care requirements that are unique to them.

Back
Top Bottom