wierd poo

jamncristian

Established Member
i was checking on my veiled chameleon (I call him citrus because he has the yellow like a lemon, orange well like an orange, and green like a lime, and he is usually sour lol) and i was checking for feces and what i found was cricket and mealworm chitin. i was looking for the spot that shows hydration but it was covered in all those shells:eek:
what does this mean??

Attachments

• 11-11-09_0921.jpg
    11-11-09_0921.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 175
It means you shouldn't feed mealworms. They are hard for a cham to digest. I would also hydrate more.

It means you shouldn't feed mealworms. They are hard for a cham to digest. I would also hydrate more.

Great advice....if your cham likes worms try silk and horn worms as well as they also help hydrate your cham :)

Also do you feed late at night or in the evening? Sometimes feeding late can cause this due to their lights/heat going out and they haven't been able to digest their food fully.

ive been trying to hydrate him more

so i am leaving him outside today for a while because it is going to rain:)
nothing is as good as rain water to hydrate a cham:D

i am going to limit the mealies and i am planning on buying some phoenix worms at petco

Great advice....if your cham likes worms try silk and horn worms as well as they also help hydrate your cham :)

Also do you feed late at night or in the evening? Sometimes feeding late can cause this due to their lights/heat going out and they haven't been able to digest their food fully.

i dont feed at night and i leave crickets in a cup from the morning and take them out in the evening but i haven't seen him eat any but 1 that i suppose went invisible on me when i was away:rolleyes: i am planning on trying silkies and horn worms when citrus gets bigger but i might try them sooner

How hot is your basking spot? They need to be warm to be able to digest. Those worms look like they came back out as they went in. Lily once passed a waxworm undigested - I gave it to her after laying and turned the lights out, therefore she didn't have any heat overnight to digest it.

it was just chitin trust me i checked:eek: It looks like he sucked out the meal worms out of their shell like a straw:)

it was just chitin trust me i checked:eek: It looks like he sucked out the meal worms out of their shell like a straw:)

Eeww! My l'il suggie does that with waxworms! Soooo gross, lol! That is why it is recommended not to feed mealworms to a chameleon. Amy likes them but she only gets one or two as a treat (very occasionally) and even then I only give her the white newly moulted ones.

i was feeding him more giant meal worms because i was worried because he wasnt eating his cricks and i didnt want him to get sick so i gave him what he would eat

ill be giving him a mealy less often:)

I would say back off the mealworms for awhile, as he had them most of his life. Give him a couple months so he can get used to other feeders such as silkworms and hornworms. I used to give my chameleon mealworms when i first started but as soon as i found out they anent that good, i said no more mealworms for you and stop using them. Now she loves silkworms, hornworms, superworms, phoneix worms, and waxworms as a treat

i was feeding him more giant meal worms because i was worried because he wasnt eating his cricks and i didnt want him to get sick so i gave him what he would eat

ill be giving him a mealy less often:)

now when you say "giant" mealworms do you mean superworms or just the larger version of mealworms, 2 different things, I would only feed newly shed ones if you do feed them off.

his previous owner only gave him crickets but i bought some giant mealworms as occasional treat but he seems not interested in crickets anymore well at least when i am around

i am going to buy some phoenix worms and maybe some silkies after i get my paycheck

if you get phoenix worms poke a hole in them b4 feeding them off, I dont like phoenix worms personally. I use silkworms, hornworms, superworms, and waxworms as far as worms go.

Just leave the crickets in there. He'll eat them when he's huingry enough, though other feeders are always good.

Just leave the crickets in there. He'll eat them when he's huingry enough, though other feeders are always good.

Just dont leave them in there overnight as crickets can and will chew on your cham creating nasty sores.

Glad you are getting silkies, they are fun to feed off. Mine hunt them down and they dont last long :)

Back
Top Bottom