Why is my chameleon on the bottom of its cage?

virkaltor

Hi everyone, Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -Yemen, female, age not sure but young (about 4 inch in lenght) in my care 1 week.
Handling - today abit as she acts like she is wanting to be handle (coming to door's scraching like other lizards, plus following round)
Feeding - black crikets size small/med, around 5/6 at a time but one by one, feeding her every other day, gut loaded on fruit and veg ( i breed crickets as its cheaper)
Supplements - reptim8 calcium sup (pet store sed that would be fine)
Watering - i spary 2-3 aday for around 2 mins i have seen her drink a few times
Fecal Description - black with bit of white shaped like norm stools, pet store says all animals are check be for selling
History - none bought from pet store

Cage Info:
Cage Type - exo-terra 12,12,18 inches, going to upgrade in a week or so to double size.
Lighting - exo-terr uv light 5.0 one i think it is, and a exo-terra sun glow buld 75W and heat mat under tank.
Temperature -30oc (floor) to 40oc (top) exo-terra temp and humidity stick on
Humidity - 40 to 50, by sparying
Plants - fake plant
Placement - corner of the room no fans air vents or high traffic (only me and the g/f), about 5 foot from floor
Location - uk

Current Problem - on the bottom of the cage alot for the past few days, as i have been filling this in she has been down 5 times and has been digging in the corners.

Last edited:
I think your cham is too young to be laying eggs but ive read that some have laid as early as 4 months. I dont have a veiled so the experts will chime in to help out. In the mean time could you fill out the "How to ask for Help" so that they have more information to work with. Its a sticky in this section of the forum

It could be a temperature issue. How hot is the top of the cage?

Please, fill this out in as much detail as possible:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

You said..."30oc (floor) to 40oc (top) exo-terra temp and humidity stick on"...you are cooking her! The temperature in the basking area should be about 27C and the rest of the cage lower.

Can you post a picture of her please?

every thing i sed is what the pet store sold me and told me it need to be,
IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

Since shes so small i think you should be feeding everyday not every other day and you should feed a lil more than 5/6 my guy can eat like 15-17 crickets a day and hes around 2-3 inches snout to vent

kk i will feed her more and i have also turned the sunglow bulb off i will get bk to everyone in a few days and let you no how its going

thank you so much
:D

ditch the heat mat under the enclosure, you dont need it, there is the potential for her to burn her underside if it gets too hot. Also you can probably ditch most of the info the petstore gave you as more often than not the pet store employyes dont specialize in cham care. I recommend doing some searching here and learning what successful keepers works for them. Dont forget to fill out the help info as well.

Back
Top Bottom