Who is using roll of Bio-Vine?

lele

Avid Member
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the 50' roll of T-Rex Bio-Vine to make some ladders for Cyrus to keep him off the screen. Right now I use Exo-Terra Jungle vine b/c it has just the right amount of texture/bumps for him to grasp (toenail issues) but does not flake off. I have tried others and this is the best. None of the photos of the bio vine are close enough to see the texture and the closest store that carries the brand is 45 minutes away! :eek: I want to order online with a bunch of other stuff.

Can someone take a GOOD close up photo of it for me and post? If you have any opinions - I'm listening...I don't want to spend $40 if I can't use it!
Thanks!

lele & Cy

Hey Lele,

Here's a suggestion that may be a little cheaper for ya. I have a forest & pond behind where I live and after I got my large flexarium I went down and cut off about 12 - 15 ft. of grapevine. I curled it around and through my chams enclosure and he seems to love it. It's about 1/2" diameter which seems perfect for his size feet. I may go back before the snow starts and get a couple more thinner pieces for my smaller chams.

Anyhow ... just a thought!

Dyesub Dave. :D

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the idea. He has lots of jungle vine (I have used grape and kiwi vine in the past, the problem is he can't grasp onto anything smooth) in his cage and he has a jungle gym made from the nicely textured jungle vine. he still has a tendency (at nearly 2years old!) to climb his screen sometimes. not really climb it like he wants to get out, just take some short cuts. I have some bird ladders in there and he uses them but I want to custom make something and I figured the 50' bio-vine would give me the flexibility of choosing length and I can twist a ladder and a swinging "bridge" together and easily secure it. I just want to know the texture is right. I wasted money on Flexi-vine, which is too smooth. looks like rope dipped in something, it even split when I bent it :(

lele

I just got my roll and it is just like the Exo-Terra; it feels and looks just like it. It is about 1/4" round.

I will post a close pic for you later on.

Roberto.

Yeah I use it also, and it has alot of texture to it. You defianatly should not have a problem with traction.

thanks to both of you! :D I look forward to playing DIY house! Might add to his jungle gym, too. I was going to get the medium, but think the baby is better since it is thinner. I think that is the 1/4" diameter.

lele

I got a roll of the medium thickness textured vine
If I could I would return it and go back to the EXO-TERRA JUNGLE VINES
The construction is different without the metal wire running through it
and it's not as flimsy so that everything falls apart when an adult climbs on it.

It seems to be "fine" to wrap around some grape vine or other solid framework
and serve as a decorative.
but it lacks enough structure in itself to serve as a "scaffold" to build the perches and climbing space that my chameleons would like to have.

just my opinion.

It seems to be "fine" to wrap around some grape vine or other solid frameworkandand serve as a decorative. ons would like to have. just my opinion.

hmmm...well, I ordered it. Maybe as you suggested I can use it as a "wrap" around rope, dowels, etc. for him to grasphmmmneeded. Myabe I can even wrap it around the stupid Flexi-vine which is totally useless!

I have not used it yet. I think I have uploaded a picture...

It seems like the issue will be when we cut it in pieces, the wire inside will be exposed. So we have to bend it or use silicone glue...

The Exo-Terras would have the same issue if you cut them. They both look and feel the same to me.

I did buy this more to wrap around things... Once I get it in I will share more.

Lets see if the pic is attached...

Attachments

• Baby_Vines.pdf
    175.1 KB · Views: 342
thanks for the pic! yeah, it looks much like the jungle vine. Silicone is great stuff, isn't it? it's the duct tape of the herp world! lol! When I get mine (will be a while b/c I got it from reptiledepot and they had a show last weekend so it takes forever for them to get orders out afterwards) I'll play around and post pics of what I create! Will be interested in yours, too :D

lele

Lele,

Last night, I did inspect the baby vines a bit closer and I now understand and agree with Jeweledchameleons. These vines are not as robust as the Exos because the silicone tube hole is way bigger than the wire that is inside it. That is why it doesn't feel solid as the Exos...

Still wil be great for wrapping around and I am thinking of replacing the insided wire with a heavier gage one (from Home Depot)...

By the way, you are welcome!!

Roberto.

i use both t-rex bio vine and the exo tera jungle vine and to be honest the exo terr seems so much better its more firm and more flexable the t-rex is springy and dosent hold its shap as well...although the t-rex is much cheaper than the jungle vine

vines

we bought it and use it here and love it . gives our chameleons something to walk on through our ficus plants. This pic dosnt have our ficus in it yet. But you can see the vines

Last edited:
A great way to save some money is to go to a craft store and buy one of those wreaths that are wound up vine/twig and use that. I did and it works well.

I'm going to try that camphor vine
I'm not so happy with that artificial vine in the rolls
The natural vine seems like it's perfect.
thanks for that link!

Back
Top Bottom