white spots?

SGmenace

Cage Type - 3 sides screen, custom back, 2 feet by 2 feet by 4 feet.
Lighting - 75 watt heat lamp, 5.0 UVB, 2 compact flourecents, 10 hours of light 14 hours of dark.
Temperature - basking spot is around 85-90. not sure of other temps
Humidity - not sure of humidity but water feature runs 24/7, spray him 2 times a day.
Plants - fake
Location - in a low traffic area, stands 6 feet from floor.

Your Chameleon - male veiled about 4 months old, been in my care for about one month.
Handling - once every 2 days or so.
Feeding - 2 week old crickets about 4 a day.
Supplements - multi vitamian and calcium twice a week.
Watering - spray 2 times a day, dont see my chameleon drinking, water feature running 24/7
Fecal Description - it seem that he deficates 2 brown fecies and 1 white fece

This is my first chameleon, I noticed a few white spots on his side and behind his neck, Im not sure if he is just shedding or if something is wrong? it does look like dry skin and he hasn't shed yet so i don't know? im also currious about how much he is eating. he only eats about 4 crickets a day and i have to injure them and place them in front of him because he doesnt seem to want to go down to the bottom of the cage to catch them. is what im doing bad?

help is appreciated

heres a few pics of the spots

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v710/pickles_and_cheese/?action=view&current=IMGP1218.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v710/pickles_and_cheese/?action=view&current=IMGP1222.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v710/pickles_and_cheese/?action=view&current=IMGP1226-2.jpg

Just a couple of notes. First, basking temp isn't warm enough and you NEED to know what the ambient temps are as well. You should bring the basking temps us to about 95. Also what do you mean "the water feature"? I hope you don't mean a waterfall. That would be trouble in the making, bacteria, germs, ick. Also, you HAVE to find out the humidity or again you are asking for problems. As far as the white spots to me they do look like just some old pieces of shed. You will have a problem with shedding if your humidity levels aren't ok, so you really need to get one. They are really inexpensive, only 11 bucks at walmart for a fairly decent temp/humidity guage with a probe. Also what kind of calcium are you giving him? With or w/o d3? And at his age i would be giving it to him 3 x a week. I don't remember if you said you were giving him vit 2 x a week or not. I only give mine 2 x month. Again only a few crickets too. If you could i would try to get some real plants in there in can help alot with humidity.

Debby

You said..." 2 compact flourecents"....are these UVB? Is your 5.0 UVB light a tube/linear light?

You said..."multi vitamian and calcium twice a week"...I only use a vitamin powder twice a month and I use one with a beta carotene source of vitamin A. I also dust with a phosphorous-free calcium powder at most feedings. Since my chameleons don't get much direct sunlight I also dust with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month.

I don't think the white spots are anything to be concerned with.

ok so i i got a temp and humidity gauge. ambiant air temp is around 75 basking temp is now up to 90 (moved lamp closer). humidity is around 50%. Yes i do mean a water fall bad idea? there's no problem with keeping it off and removing the water i just figured it looked nice and it would help keep the humidity up. I am giving him phosphorous free calcium with vit D3 2 times a week as well as a multi vitamin. I will up the dosage of the calcium and lower the dosage of the multivitamin as you directed.

the 2 compact flourecents are just for extra lighting, they are regular household lights, is this ok?. I have a 26 watt Repti glo 5.0 UVB compact. I just recently did some reading about how these newer Compact UVB lights can be harmful to chameleons skin and eyes? I had no idea. what is your take on this? It seems very odd that a company would release a product that is harmful to animals. I will go and buy a tube UVB light and fixture asap just to be safe.

as for the white spots, should i be worried?

Back
Top Bottom