which fruits and veggies can Chameleon's not eat?

ksau

I know a few they can have, but i'd like a solid list of what they can and cannot have as far as fruits and veggies go.

Thanks!

I wish I could give a comprehensive list and I am not sure one exists. I can say that my veileds like grapes, cherry tomatoes, and rasberries. I cut them all in half and put them on a small stick. There needs to be a skin on the side facing the cham so that there is something for their tongue to stick to.

Duke

spinach and broccoli.
I avoid tomato as well.
Lettuce (since they are pretty much just water).

Avoid avocado- it is extremely toxic to birds and would probably not be safe for chams either. As said, avoid broccoli, cabbage, lettuce and spinach. Nightshade family plants are poisonous so avoid tomato (maybe the fruit is okay but NO LEAVES OR STEMS), potato and eggplant.

Chunks of squash would be good stuff I think. I have heard veileds really like grapes, strawberries, collard greens, kale, apple chunks and greens from root plants (carrot tops, beet, turnip etc.)

You can give the chameleon greens (dandelion, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red peppers...once in a while corn kernels, peas, green beans) and fruits (apple, pear, melon, berries, etc.)

As was already mentioned...spinach, broccoli, cruciferous vegetables (like cabbage) should be seldom if ever used. I feed white potatoes to my crickets and its never caused a problem...but I have NOT fed it to the chameleons. I never use acidic fruits or tomatoes but I don't know if they would be bad or not.

Pothos leaves have not seemed to harm them either...and some of the females eat a lot of them.

I actually throw some "organic" (leafy greens and stuff) cricket gut load into the cup when i feed the crickets to my cham. the breeder i got him off of said that if i line the cup with leafy greens and my guy misses then his tongue wont be damaged by the plastic of the cup. I noticed that he eats some of the greens too!

I wish I could give a comprehensive list and I am not sure one exists. I can say that my veileds like grapes, cherry tomatoes, and rasberries. I cut them all in half and put them on a small stick. There needs to be a skin on the side facing the cham so that there is something for their tongue to stick to.

Duke

Put them on a stick? I may just be a little slow :eek:... but how do they get them off the stick?

as nikki said. avacado is horrible, its very high in fat, and most animals can't proccess the fat in there body, and end up dieing as a result.

id stick to the pretty common fruits, apple, carrots, pears, *maybe grapes not sure*.. i am sure you could think of a few other things.

plums and peaches would probably be good as theya re fairly soft, most of the berries too.

We offer fruits and vegetables cut up into small, bite size pieces on a terracotta pot dish. Then we put that plate at the bottom of the cage and they'll travel down and eat. One of our veiled's doesn't like this method so we had to bunch some of his fake leaves together to imitate a feeding dish.

I don't like to use supplements on the fruits and veggies because it makes a mess and I don't think they enjoy the taste as much. We usually save supplements for crickets and worms.

I feed my veiled the same things I feed my bearded dragons. Dandelion leaves, collards, mustards greens. He seems to really like shredded zucchini and sweet potato.

Though alfalfa is listed as a staple on the above iguana list I highly caution against feeding alfalfa sprouts. I had some extra and put them in as a gut load for my superworms and crickets, and they all died within two days... I hadn't changed any of the rest of my normal set up for them, so I'm assuming something about the sprouts isn't good for invertebrates?

Put them on a stick? I may just be a little slow :eek:... but how do they get them off the stick?
so guys i know this is off topic but my chameleon like dosent like being petted when i do it moves away and when i put my hand out it tries to go in my hand but dosent what should i do

so guys i know this is off topic but my chameleon like dosent like being petted when i do it moves away and when i put my hand out it tries to go in my hand but dosent what should i do
You need to start your own thread if you want feedback... If you use the search function you will find a lot of feedback on there as well. But to answer your question... Chameleon's are not a petting animal. No matter how much they tolerate you they do not like it.

You can give the chameleon greens (dandelion, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red peppers...once in a while corn kernels, peas, green beans) and fruits (apple, pear, melon, berries, etc.)

As was already mentioned...spinach, broccoli, cruciferous vegetables (like cabbage) should be seldom if ever used. I feed white potatoes to my crickets and its never caused a problem...but I have NOT fed it to the chameleons. I never use acidic fruits or tomatoes but I don't know if they would be bad or not.

Pothos leaves have not seemed to harm them either...and some of the females eat a lot of them.
have you ever tried to grow your own dandelion plants?

Back
Top Bottom