Whats your opinion???

My husband and I are looking at getting some live plants for our chameleons and I am wondering what everyones preferance as to which plants are best? We were thinking about getting Ficus Plants and moving them outside for some free range ( when the weather is right) so even if they are plants that can be put outside after is something that would appeal to us....whats your opinion??:D

there is a safe plant list under the resources tab in teh green bar up top.
I use pothos and schefellara.

Umbrellas are the best for me :p they also look pretty and add foliage (umbrella=schefflera). They aren't so hard to care either

Hibiscus is the best choice, because it's 100% edible, the flowers also have a high dose of vitamin C, you can find them at home depot, walmart, or anywheres that sells plants, produce flowers year round, and does well in all climates.

Hibiscus is the best choice, because it's 100% edible, the flowers also have a high dose of vitamin C, you can find them at home depot, walmart, or anywheres that sells plants, produce flowers year round, and does well in all climates.

actually hibiscus dies very easily :( but your right that the chams do like to eat the leaves. i keep alot of diffrent plants. just check to see if they are safe and easy for your animal to climb on.

I bought mine when it was about 40 degrees outside, and it had flowers on it, now i have it inside and is growing under the uvb bulb.

I can't seem to find anything on the non-toxic list. The only thing I've had luck with is a small Pothos. I just ordered Bodhi's 4 foot tall cage. We have a Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot, and none have what I need. Especially when it comes to trees. They just have a constant supply of Palm Trees. Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should get and where to order it from? At this point I'd take any safe plant. Lol.

I love my pothos plants. I really don't need extra vines in the cages. They climb the plants.

If there are any farmer's markets or similar sorts of things near you, check them. I got a pothos that had 2 foot long vines (perfect for pinning up around the enclosure) for $5.

You can put 2 or 3 plants in one pot, and save some floor space and make things look neater.

Just get a big pot, put in a tall ficus, a medium/bushy schefflaera, and fill in the gaps with pothos. You can trail the pothos up, down, wherever you like.

In the summer, get 2 or 3 hibiscus plants and keep them outside. They do well with our summers, especially the one you had over that side of the country last year lol.

Hibiscus does go through a 'hibernation' in the winter, where you bring it indoors in indirect sunlight and water lightly. It will loose 90% of its leaves, that is normal. It will come back vigorously once you place it outside again next summer.

Also there are other Ficus you can get than benjamina. I like F. longifolia.

Back
Top Bottom