What's wrong with his tail??

PINki

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - wood cage, 60x60x120cm
* Lighting - 25W basking (enough for the summer) and Repti-Glo 5.0 , lights ON at 7am and OFF 7pm
* Temperature -Basking spot 30°C, floor around 26°C Lowest overnight is 20°C in winter time. I measure with digital thermometer
* Humidity - 40% normaly and 60% when misted. I measure with digital hygrometer
* Plants - Yes, ficus or pothos, now at the moment I use fake plant
* Placement - In living room, cage is placed on a "shelf" At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 2m and more
* Location - Europe, Slovenia

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, over 2 years. How long has it been in your care? Since he was old 3 months
* Handling - Only when necessary
* Feeding - 1 midle sized dubia every other day. Gutloading with veggies.
* Supplements - Reptivite 2x/month, calcium almost every feeding...
* Watering - When he eats I give him water by pipete. 2x/day 2-3mins Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes. And he has a dripper too, but never seen him drinking from it.
* Fecal Description - Not normal at the moment (have to take him to the vet, I think he has parasites) Urates are white with little orange.
* History - /
* Current Problem

His tail is getting "stoned" and don't know why... Some tissue already died on the tip of the tail and fell of. He uses his tail still but not as much as he did before. It doesn't seem that it hurts him when I touch him. I'm afraid he'll loose his tail.

Do you know what it could be the possible reason for this? And yes I'm gonna take him to the vet ASAP but there is no one experienced with chams in my city.

Attachments

• SNC00020.jpg
    SNC00020.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
It may be some infection- don't think twice and run to the vet's! Or isn't it possible that the tail was too close to the bulb? It can be burned (if it turns blue)..

No this temp is closest as he can get to the heat bulb. At first it was less than 0.5cm. Now it spreaded and it looks like it's going to shed but it won't.

I'll get him tommorow to the vet.

I just came back home from the vet.

That skin that was spreading was from shedding. He took it off with tweezers and rest of tail seems fine at the moment. And for the black tip of the tail where a little part of tail fell off, he gave me some antibiotic ointment and I need to spread it on the tip of the tail 2x/day.

He said me to raise humidity levels, cause he has some shedding problems probably too.

I should get to vet again in two weeks for check-up and if "dead area" expands they'll need to amputate the part of his tail.:( I hope this won't happen.

In meantime I'll get fecal checked for parasites too.

Back
Top Bottom