What kind of mulberry tree for silkies?

ohiohousewife

I've been toying with the idea of getting a tree and a lamp and seeing if I can have a go at keeping the tree to keep the worms, but there are like 15 different kinds of trees. does it matter which kind of mulberry tree?

Morus alba, or White Mulberry is the one most commonly found in my neck of the woods. I'm pretty sure all leaves in this tree family can be used as host plant.

I have a old tree here that has no fruit. My neighbors have one that produces berries. It makes a huge mess when all the berries fall. If its just for worms get one with no berries. It real handy having a tree. Not only the worm but my tortoises eat the leaves also. I also remember at a turtle club meeting they were auctioning a weeping mulberry tree. That was pretty cool if you dont want a huge tree. It was in a pot and about 8 feet tall with leaves to the ground.

The berries are lovely made into jam
they are also quite good for you

True some jam is always good. Im just not a fan cause I have to go outside before my kids and blow them into a corner and pick them up before my kids step on them and track them into the house. And the birds love to eat them and sit on a branch over my car and dodo all over it as soon as I wash it.:mad:

thanks everyone!

Hey! we have them in Ohio! they are a very nasty weed, apparently. Looks like I'm going for a walk to collect leaves!

Last edited:
any and all

I've been toying with the idea of getting a tree and a lamp and seeing if I can have a go at keeping the tree to keep the worms, but there are like 15 different kinds of trees. does it matter which kind of mulberry tree?

White mulberry is the usual type used for silkworms, but they will eat the leaves of any _Morus_ species.

Incidentally, the pollen from these trees is highly allergenic; many people suffer when they are in bloom. If you are thinking of planting one, you might look for a non-flowering (and non-fruiting) form. There are forms that weep (droop) like 'Capparral', and an ordinary one called 'Fruitless', and still others with more deeply divided leaves. Another plus to non-flowering varieties is that they put all their energy into fast foliage growth instead of fruit.

Also, their roots are very greedy and can invade pipes and throw sidewalks; plant far away from sewers and streets.

There's an article on how to blanche and freeze leaves to preserve a food supply for the winter: I can't find a working link for it, but I have a copy if anyone wants one. It can be summarized by saying you blanche in boiling water for 30 seconds and pat dry and freeze the leaves in plastic bags. Really simple.

Last edited:
White mulberry is the usual type used for silkworms, but they will eat the leaves of any _Morus_ species.

Incidentally, the pollen from these trees is highly allergenic; many people suffer when they are in bloom. If you are thinking of planting one, you might look for a non-flowering (and non-fruiting) form. There are forms that weep (droop) like 'Capparral', and an ordinary one called 'Fruitless', and still others with more deeply divided leaves. Another plus to non-flowering varieties is that they put all their energy into fast foliage growth instead of fruit.

Also, their roots are very greedy and can invade pipes and throw sidewalks; plant far away from sewers and streets.

There's an article on how to blanche and freeze leaves to preserve a food supply for the winter: I can't find a working link for it, but I have a copy if anyone wants one. It can be summarized by saying you blanche in boiling water for 30 seconds and pat dry and freeze the leaves in plastic bags. Really simple.

I just tried this link and it worked. Is this the one you were looking for?

http://rms1.agsearch.agropedia.affrc...ty/34-3405.pdf

I have a old tree here that has no fruit. My neighbors have one that produces berries. It makes a huge mess when all the berries fall. If its just for worms get one with no berries. It real handy having a tree. Not only the worm but my tortoises eat the leaves also. I also remember at a turtle club meeting they were auctioning a weeping mulberry tree. That was pretty cool if you dont want a huge tree. It was in a pot and about 8 feet tall with leaves to the ground.

a turtle club? like a turtle club from the Master of Disguise? or an actual club for turtles? lol sorry this made me chuckle.

Back
Top Bottom