What is YOUR refund policy?

Seeco

Avid Member
If you sell a juvenile chameleon that turns out to be the wrong sex what is your refund policy? Would you ever refund by giving away an adult animal that costs double the price of a juvenile in order to satisfy a customer who expected to have an adult of the right sex by now? Please chime in as I am dealing with such a situation right now.

Last edited:
y would they send you an adult and how long have you had it? if you have had it for more than a few weeks im not sure i would even send you a new one even though it was wrong cause what if it inst even the one i sent out. but that just me. but it is always worth a try. :)

ok i see how long have they had the cham? also was it an adult when you sent it to them? and who are they kidding tough luck if they want anything they shouldn't be demanding and should be happy with any cham that makes it right so to speak. as long as it was the same locale and right sex why would age be a problem?

i dealt with a similar situation about a year ago with my she-male Nosy Be...it was sold as a male and i thought it was just a late bloomer bc it was still developing some colors, it was about 3-4 months later when i contacted the breeder and he confirmed that is was a female (possible she-male)...i was a little upset bc i wanted a male and paid for a male, but now i think it cool because i have a unique cham, im hoping that she will produce eggs (apparently she-males dont) bc that would make things a little better...it looks like she is showing receptive colors, but with tealish bars...but i dont know what to tell you about your situation, do you have any babies to swap out?

hmm this is a little tricky, i would rather send a sub adult than a full adult, sort of in the middle not too old but not too young as well

and switch the animals

I doesnt have to be a adult. I would stwich for around the same age the wrong cham is. Or if you sold him a male and now its a female. Then you could just refund the price difference between a male and female. Like a male is 400 and a female is 200. Then refund 200. JMO with out knowing the whole situation.

The exact situation is: Customer ordered 1 male and 1 female a year ago and just now realized that it is 2 males. He wants a female (a good looking and ready to breed female btw). I only have my personal keepers/breeders. I told him they are worth over $1000 to me. Offered cash refund plus he gets to keep mistake male animal. What do I do?

The exact situation is: Customer ordered 1 male and 1 female a year ago and just now realized that it is 2 males. He wants a female (a good looking and ready to breed female btw). I only have my personal keepers/breeders. I told him they are worth over $1000 to me. Offered cash refund plus he gets to keep mistake male animal. What do I do?

how is the person with your offer? your offer sounds reasonable but idk how badly he wants a female...

He cannot demand an adult animal, especially when you have none to offer. Your breeding stock is not even on the table (up for discussion.) He gets a sub-adult or baby female and a big "I'm sorry for the mistake" from you. Keep in mind if he is worth it, he'll want to trade bloodlines and/or purchase more from you...in turn you will gladly give him a discount for any future dealings. If you have any freebies like calcium or gutload you can slip some into his female's shipping box.

That is just how I would do it.;)

Since it was your mistake I would say if you do not have what the customer is due then cash refund and if the customer does not like the offer then tell them when you have a said female available in the future they are more than welcome to it and I doubt they would want to wait so they would take the cash refund and move along and find another female somewhere else. People can be so persnickety......Take the refund and move on!!!

Im of the opinion you give the customer his option of a discounted price on a future female or you will refund the price of the mistaken male. Im with CNorton the customer has no right to demand a female breeder. There isnt a breeder anywhere thats going to give a breeder away because of a mistake made sexing a cham. That stuff happens....Besides that he actually got the better end of the deal he got 2 males that are actually worth more on the marketplace than a female is valued at. If hes smart he'll take his refund and wait for a female down the road.

Good. Thanks for the advice folks. I offered full cash refund plus keep extra male and dibs on first available female. I have had so few problems in my 3 or so years of doing this that I was kinda stumped.

DO NOT offer a full refund i'll, difference in purchase price between a male/female. Maybe a discounted price on future female.
What did it take them a year?

Good. Thanks for the advice folks. I offered full cash refund plus keep extra male and dibs on first available female. I have had so few problems in my 3 or so years of doing this that I was kinda stumped.

honestly its one of those things that you never want to happen, but inevitably its gonna happen...i think your offer is more than fair, there is no way i would be upset if you offered me that

The customer is not always right!
Im of the opinion you give the customer his option of a discounted price on a future female or you will refund the price of the mistaken male. Im with CNorton the customer has no right to demand a female breeder. There isnt a breeder anywhere thats going to give a breeder away because of a mistake made sexing a cham. That stuff happens....Besides that he actually got the better end of the deal he got 2 males that are actually worth more on the marketplace than a female is valued at. If hes smart he'll take his refund and wait for a female down the road.

If refunds or guarantees were not discussed when the animal was purchased then there really aren't any.
Your not walmart you are a reptile breeder providing a very rare service to reptile keepers. If it was me and I didn't have a replacement I would request the animal be returned for a full refund.
Or offer a discounted price for a another animal when available.

If you sell a juvenile chameleon that turns out to be the wrong sex what is your refund policy? Would you ever refund by giving away an adult animal that costs double the price of a juvenile in order to satisfy a customer who expected to have an adult of the right sex by now? Please chime in as I am dealing with such a situation right now.

I would not sell an animal until I was certain of its gendre. OR I would sell it as "likely a female" or "likely a male" and I would offer NO guarantee or refund. like was stated above, its not like we're "walmart"

A friend of mine made a mistake with sexing and refunded the money and the chameleon was returned. The guy had the chameleon in his care for 2 months before it was returned, loaded with coccidia which infested his collection. Something to think about. A very costly mistake for the breeder.
This happened to me one time and I couldn't accept the chameleon back as the buyer had her for months before contacting me. I did offer a very generous discount on another one.

Back
Top Bottom