what is best variety of insect's online

ChamFreak

Avid Member
Anyone got any favs? I am looking for cheap hissing cockroaches and, many variety's of bugs for my chams.

I'll post some feeder sources tomorrow. Currently don't have my bookmarks with me.

I have used cricketfood.com before. Excellent product. If you are looking for cricket or worm food (not silkworm), give them a try. The quality of their product is much better imo than the average commercial product you buy at your local pet sore; probably cheaper too.

anyone know of hissing cockroach's that are cheap. Found few but very expensive. Please let me know of anyone with great product.

I have never found cheap hissing cockroaches. Another good roach type I have heard of is lobster cockroaches. I think they might be a little more available than other kinds. A benefit is that they also do not infest, and that is definately an added bonus.

A benefit is that they also do not infest, and that is definately an added bonus.
HAH! No kidding. I actually don't know much about either kind of roach. Those hissing roaches though can be a few dollars a piece :eek:

California silkworms currently have praying mantis eggs.

How hard is it to raise all these differant feeders? I had considered it but, seems like more then I can bite off.

I don't have any experience with the praying mantis, just thought they were neat. Keeping all these different kinds of feeders at one time would be an excessive chore and is not really needed for small hobbyists. Keeping one or two though is not too difficult.

Many people use different techniques and are successful. What I do is use silkworms as a main food source. Once a week I buy some crickets which last 2-3 days. Sometimes instead of buying crickets, I might order a small amount of something else online (butter worms, roaches, horn worms, flies, etc).

I recommend choosing either silkworms or crickets as your main food source. Silkworms are easy to keep, especially if you use the setup described at ChameleonNews.com.

praying mantis

I have found these to be a excellent food source, in the summer i go out and can catch these as well as all sorts of manner of bugs. I just make sure there from a area free from insectisides

Last edited:
ChamFreak said:
what have you found to get his attention the most? I was considering geting butterfly kits.
A healthy cham should be attracted to almost anything if he is hungry. However, the chameleons I have kept seem to really be attracted to flies (or anything that flies). I also believe they have been more attracted to food items they have not seen recently.

Ezhno loves silkworms

i kinda shun mantis's, I feel they could or might harm my chams. Also brad, off based, how hard is it to raise and hatch the silkies?

Silkworms are very easy, especially if you use the setup described at Chameleon News.

I found a link to Livefood UK while visiting Chamgirl's website. I don't think they deliver to the states (shipping would be too much anyways), but I was surprised at what they offer. Three different kinds of crickets, included a 'silent field cricket'. They also offer locusts, which I have been unable to find in the states.

Brad said:
I found a link to Livefood UK while visiting Chamgirl's website. I don't think they deliver to the states (shipping would be too much anyways), but I was surprised at what they offer. Three different kinds of crickets, included a 'silent field cricket'. They also offer locusts, which I have been unable to find in the states.

Hi brad

Forgot to post that link ( livefood ) both myself and chamgirl regulary use the forum. The livefood from them is always top notch and well gutloaded. As for delivery to the states the costs would be huge, i know they deliver to spain( which takes about 5 days) as i use them sometimes, but even that works out exspensive as you pay more for the postage than the food. I wasnt aware you couldnt get all the insects in the states ( i know you cant get locusts as i read this somewere, which is a bummer as they make great cham grub both the hoppers and adults always climb upwards) The only insect we have BIG TROUBLE getting hold of both here and the uk are silkworms and you have them by the bucket loads in the states

The only insect we have BIG TROUBLE getting hold of both here and the uk are silkworms and you have them by the bucket loads in the states
That is odd; is there some legal issues involved with selling/transporting them?

On a related note, I was hoping you or ChamGirl could recommend a couple respected online reptile supply or live feeder stores. These forums now offer a monthly photo contest, and I would like to have some european alternatives when dealing with prizes/shipping. I already bookmarked LiveFoods, but could use one or two other recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom