What happened to all the Silkies???

SoCaliSon

Avid Member
Have you tried to find any silkworms lately... Good Luck!!! I need Silkies again, and they are nowhere to be found!

Are they going extinct? I know they don't live in the wild... Are the farmed populations dying off as well??? Never really had this prob before.

I was talking to a guy who breeds Silkies about this just yesterday. It is mainly due to the time of year (too much Heat) and an increase in demand.

That and Mulberry had a USDA problem. It should start picking up soon.

for so cal.....

well i know why u cant find them anywhere near us our major supplier for so cali got shut down and is moving out of state ive been trying to get them for a month ....... so it may be a while till we get them

Some information.....

I talked to Mullberry Farms a week ago. They have to apply for a license to import the silkworm eggs. It's a process that takes forever. They are waiting to get a new license and can't import any more eggs until they get it. That's their issue. Not sure what the deal is with others. Hornworms are a good substitute until you can get more silkworms.

i heard there was a customs problem with the silkworm eggs coming from overseas and the delay caused a very high percentage of them to go bad and now there is a huge gap in the perpetual cycle at the retailers end and a shortage

i don't know if this is true or not

Bummer... Guess I will ordering some Horns for now. I know there are still a few places that have eggs available, Maybe Ill order a couple thousand.

I have a spot for a tree in my yard, I am looking for a nursery that can sell me semi mature Mulberry Tree, so I can start raising my own and not have to go through this. I hate mixing Chow.

Catherine is 100% correct. You caaaaaaaaan get eggs sent from China but if customs gets them then they are out all that $$$ because they burn them. They are not going to risk loosing the money or getting in trouble.

Yeah I just got off the phone with mulberry
It's going to take a few more weeks to get the
US Government to approve his paperwork.

Until then, it's going to be a silkie less mid summer.
hornworms are still available for those that are interested.

Joe, I purchased the last batch from mulberry.
(the adult one did not exactly come in a good condition since i have 2 or 3 casualties/day).

But, I have 2 pods filled with small ones.
and I am currently in process to hatch my own zebra silkie egg.
I don't know how many you need, but i can probably spare you some at SBCK meeting.

I just ordered eggs from coastalsilkworms.com Uh monday and got them yesterday. I got 1000. Are they out now. I also have 15 or so huge silkies in there cocon box. They havent spun but should soon. I figure the 1000 will last untill I can use the eggs from the other batch. You keep them cool for at least a month.

I just went through this entire thread https://www.chameleonforums.com/silkworms-101-a-7906/

It doesn't seem to be too hard to raise silkies...bu that is what I said about Chams too so I am not gonna fool my self.:eek:

I was wondering though. How nutritional are silkworms. or are they like candy?:rolleyes:

just Curious. I was thinking about buying and raising some.:D

OPI

silkies are one feeder that you can use as staple.
They're better nutritionally than crickets

silkies are one feeder that you can use as staple.
They're better nutritionally than crickets

Dodolah is right. I would also like to add they only eat mulberry leaves or chow so you cant gutload them with anything else. Also they have a lot of water and are good for hydration but too much with out some chitlin will cause runny poop. I noticed this when I ran out of crix and had tons of silkies so I just used them for quite a few days and then my chams were cruising down the hershey highway:eek: These are a great insects to add with crix and roaches as an every feeding feeder. They also seem easy to breed to me too. I am going to find out.

I didn't have any problems breeding them, but getting the eggs to hatch didn't happen no matter what I did. Of all the eggs I had only a few were unfertilized so I should have had thousands of silkies. Just didn't happen. I don't know if there is a trick that is different than the ones you buy.

Well with all that advice, and the fact that I know of one store on the island with silkworms, My chams finally got a taste of them.... and they both love it...put in the cage and Zip their on it.:D

Thanks...My wife is also thank you all too since I went online and purchase about a 1000 eggs to start a little colony. :rolleyes:She just loves all the little insects that I have brought home....HEHEHEH:eek:. I must be driving crazy with this new hobby.

Thanks again for the advice...Joe and Girl also thank you from the bottom of their tummy's...My wife on the other hand is standing over me glaring at the computer.......

OPI

Well with all that advice, and the fact that I know of one store on the island with silkworms, My chams finally got a taste of them.... and they both love it...put in the cage and Zip their on it.:D

Thanks...My wife is also thank you all too since I went online and purchase about a 1000 eggs to start a little colony. :rolleyes:She just loves all the little insects that I have brought home....HEHEHEH:eek:. I must be driving crazy with this new hobby.

Thanks again for the advice...Joe and Girl also thank you from the bottom of their tummy's...My wife on the other hand is standing over me glaring at the computer.......

OPI

Wait until you bring home a colony of papaya bettles AKA Blaptica Dubia :D:D:D:D

www.coastalsilkworms.com has a notice on their website saying that they are getting silkworms in on the 18th and taking orders starting the 14th. Coastal also has great customer service, I would check them out.
They're a little pricier than mulberry farms but their shipping is lightning fast and their products are high quality. I am looking forward to getting some silkies again too! Hornworms are alright, though. Man do those things poop a lot!

I just got confirmation of my order from coastalsilkworms for silkworm eggs has been processed and sent.

Just FYI

OPI>>

Back
Top Bottom