What are YOUR mortality rates on newborns

Tiki

Hi,
Could some of you post your experiences with mortality and your breeding projects? Do you feel that out of the eggs that hatch from a panther clutch more young survive than that of a live bearer such as a Jackson's?
The reason I'm asking is that ,even being a pretty experienced "herper", my luck with Jackson's neonate survival is poor. It seems that panthers (I have several panthers) are more hardy as babies. I don't want to have any more bad breeding projects, but I'd like to breed my panthers. Like I said I'm pretty experienced with my chameleons so I would expect better results than I have achieved so far.
Thanks,
Jim

I have 2 clutch of Jackson before......they all born during summer. When the heat goes up, my apartment's air conditioning will break down, thus killing all my jackson. I have given up on breeding mountain species. I have better survival rate with bearded pygmies and veiled chameleon.

pohchun , just an idea... but if you only need air conditioning for a few weeks, you can put a standalone unit on a credit card, use it for 30 days or so and then take it back to home depot and tell them its sucking all your cool air out...i do this alll the time

Last edited:
Hi Jim,
As with you - our first litter of jacksons was a disaster... then we sorta caught on. We found that they need food, food and more food - FAST. They will eat within an hour after being born - something the hatchers don't do.

We live in Oregon, so the cooler temps and high humidity helps considerably - but the true trick is the food. We even raised them in a greenhouse with good luck too. We sat bowls of fruit fly food around and plenty of tubs for small crickets - and termites too. They wandered from dish to dish... eating. And, you need to mist heavily too. Heavily planted enclosures help as well.

Here is a good link for jackson info:
http://www.geocities.com/chamjacksonii/

It is much easier to raise panthers in our experience.
~Morgana

It seems that neos hatched from eggs are just easier to raise. I was actually speaking to the Kammers about this recently and they said the same thing. I was mentioning some high mortality in my 3 month old nominate jackson's. They said they've seen high mortality in live-born chameleons even up to 5 months of age.

Ditto on the food thing, they're little piggies.

pohchun , just an idea... but if you only need air conditioning for a few weeks, you can put a standalone unit on a credit card, use it for 30 days or so and then take it back to home depot and tell them its sucking all your cool air out...i do this alll the time

Don't listen to him. That's a real disgusting thing to do. It increases prices for everyone else that's NOT stealing. If you need AC, get a job and buy one.

I worked for Circuit City, on commission, years ago. People like you really hurt me. A lot.

haha, not a fan of the Ghetto-Rental?? When I was a broke young man
living in Hawaii.I practiced the ghetto-rental on the regular. It's not
right but, necessary sometimes when your struggling.

LOL.....i never do that...that sound so evil!:D

Back
Top Bottom