what about rubber plants?

Crazy Pet Lady

I have a rubber tree plant and am wondering if I can put in my chams (veiled) enclosure? I haven't heard one way or the other. Thanks in advance. Peace.

The sap from a rubber tree plant is harmful. I tried to cut down one in my yard and ended up with VERY irritated skin on my hands and arms. I let a service come and do it. A much better idea if I should say so myself.

Ok...I knew the sap was yucky, but didn't know it was toxic to chams. FLchams has it listed on their safe plant list!?!?!? :eek: Weird. Thank you. I won't use it.

I use Indian Rubber plants for my Panthers, but I wouldn't consider them for a Veiled. Even with a Panther , you have to be sure they don't chew the leaves. Better alternatives are Pothos or Schefflera Aboricola ( Umbrella plant).

rubber plants / latex

rubber plants are a definite NO/NO for any chams , when a leaf or stem is broken it oozes a substantial amount of raw latex , a very sticky, rapidly drying, almost impossible to wash off substance, that is much like glue or caulk (or liquid rubber), you dont want your chams eating it, drinking it, or getting it on their skin, let alone their eyes. for any one that uses a rubber plant, i would suggest breaking a stem, and rubbing the white liquid on your fingers or hands, spread it around give it a couple of min to dry and then try to wash it off with no soap and just luke warm water (like you would have to do if it got on your cham) THE STEMS OFTEN BREAK QUITE EASILY, and it can ooze latex for sometime afterwards, of all plants to avoid, rubber trees should be at the top of anyones list, latex is NOT cham friendly, regardless of (cham) species and regardless of anyones safe plant list. in fact, now that this posting has brought it to my attention, i intend to contact mike monge of flchams, to see if i can get him to ammend his safe plant list. EDIT/PS when it dries it dries hard and clear like varnish, once dried the sample shown could not even be removed by scraping with a knife,/ d*m, i liked that folder too View attachment 15018,

Thanks again for all the great info. I will definitely NOT be using my rubber plant in the cham cage. I just was thinking because of the size of it, it might look cool in there. But NO....will not be using it. Thanks to all...Peace.

Back
Top Bottom