Weird behavior...

bucky

My panther chameleon Louie has been going to the bottom of my cage to sleep,hes sleeping on the plant pot now... and its only 6pm. Should I be even more concerned?(He is having some bad eye trouble:( )

My father set up a vet appointment,but with the thanksgiving break its not going to be till a week or so:( The eye problem is that his one right eye stays closed,it seems to have developed some white stuff on it,but it seems to be getting better but still not open, and recently his left eye,his good eye,has been closed along with it:(

what kind of UV lights are you using?

This sounds a lot like the issues my panther was having. if you use compact flourecent lighting try turning them off for a couple of days and see if his eyes start to open. Does he sleep a lot? or just early? mine little guy would sleep early then a lot during the day.

Check out this link: UV lighting Issues

This was my light setup:
IMG_6033LabelRS.jpg

This is my new setup and it works perfectly (I turn on the Exo Terra lamp about half the time the other lights are on):
IMG_6176RSlabel.jpg

I didn't find out about how the lights were effecting my cham until it was too late. So please read that site and check your lighting. It is sad losing a pet to something that can be easily fixed.

Was asking because my cham had the same problem you are talking about and caught him sleeping in his plant a few times. His left eye always stayed closed. Seemed fine otherwise during the day. The Vets could never tell me what his problem was, but it turned out he had a worm issue that he eventually died from.

Some of the compact UVB bulbs have been causing some eye issues lately. I say Vet visit is needed.

Well,a couple days ago i sent a link from the UK or whatever concerning UV lights and how they are harming reptiles,they havent responded tho:( I dont have a compact one,i have a tube,i turned it off for 2 days and it didnt seem to do the trick. This is very weird,like I said,on the 29th ill be taking him in. But just recently today,i saw his one good eye seemed to be shedding,nothing else,and last night,after I took him off the plant,i put a warm,moist towel over his eyes,and put warm water in his eyes via syringe,and both his eyes opened:eek:I was totally surpised,it wasnt just for a couple minutes,it was till he went to sleep(8pm). This is getting very weird/frusterating.

Well,a couple days ago i sent a link from the UK or whatever concerning UV lights and how they are harming reptiles,they havent responded tho:( I dont have a compact one,i have a tube,i turned it off for 2 days and it didnt seem to do the trick. This is very weird,like I said,on the 29th ill be taking him in. But just recently today,i saw his one good eye seemed to be shedding,nothing else,and last night,after I took him off the plant,i put a warm,moist towel over his eyes,and put warm water in his eyes via syringe,and both his eyes opened:eek:I was totally surpised,it wasnt just for a couple minutes,it was till he went to sleep(8pm). This is getting very weird/frusterating.

What brand and output rating is your UVB tube lamp?

It is a reptiglo 10.0,is 10.0 too much,i noticed the guy that showed me his pics of his setup had a 5.0.

It is a reptiglo 10.0,is 10.0 too much,i noticed the guy that showed me his pics of his setup had a 5.0.

I posted a couple of pictures above. I would step it down to a 5.0 if you have the light fixture resting on top of the cage like I have in the photos above. Keep the UVB off for a couple more days or until you go to the vet and see how he is. What kind of heat lamps are you using? how do you mist?

I said that I kept it off for 2 days,and it didnt seem to work. I mist him 2-3 times a day,for about 4min. As for the heat lamps,im using one 10inch heat lamp,60 watt bulb in it. And one 5inch,60 watt bulb but you can change the heat settings.

O,the big one is to the left,about 15 inches away from his perch,and the other is about 10inches to the left side of the cage(the big one is all the way to the right.

Well,ive had someone say 10.0 is good,i dont have it ON the cage,i have it proped up on two 4x4s,so its like 16inches away from the highest perch.

Back
Top Bottom