Weeping pussywillow

Echoezra

Established Member
So we saw these when shopping a few weeks ago and they looked cute and branchy, lol, couldn't find them on the lists I had as safe or toxic, anybody know? The technical name was Salix Caprea Pendula.
Thanks.

So we saw these when shopping a few weeks ago and they looked cute and branchy, lol, couldn't find them on the lists I had as safe or toxic, anybody know? The technical name was Salix Caprea Pendula.
Thanks.

where did you see these? i bought 4 awesome looking willow branches from colasanti's for 25 cents each last week. they look really nice :)

I forget if it was lowes or home depot. We went to both that night. They were a little pricey, if I recall correctly, like in the teens, but my daughter really liked them so I almost got one, but then said "I'd better check with the forum first..". :)
So does anybody know about pussy willows?

Boo, that's not good. I guess i didn't look very closely, I never noticed any thorns on pussy willows before... I was just thinking what if they tried to eat he fuzzy things thinking it was a caterpillar.
Alright then, thats a no, thanks for the help. No ouchy blisters for my babies.

Willow branches @ colasantis

Forgot to ask, Phil, where in the store did you find those branches?

as soon as you walk in, where they have the first set of doors, they also have the indian statue lol. right there. its weeping willow branches at 25 cents each

Sweet, thanks I'll take a drive up there this week.
I love willow, my best friend had several ginormous willow trees in her backyard they're just ingrained in my childhood memories. :)

haha echoezra, just swing on by, i bought the branches, not realsing i've been living with one in my backyard for the last 14 years lol. ill chop you off as many as you want for free, its winter so they'd be good to go. just wipe off and place in cage

what?

Its listed as a 5 rating for toxcidity..

http://www.busybirds.net/Toxic.html

Huh? Where did you find that? When I look at the link, it shows willows listed as a "1" - non-toxic. I concur.

No willow has true thorns; I can not think of one that even has an approximation of a thorn. Not 100% sure, but it would seem that none have irritating sap, in that I can find no data to that effect.

And none are toxic, according to my references.

Willows are widely used for browse by many herbivorous species. People make a tea from the bark for a variety of ailments. Aspirin was originally isolated from a willow.

Seems OK for an outdoor habitat or for branch harvesting; they will not be suitable as an indoor plant.

I originally asked about pussywillow, which is listed as a 5, then Phil mentioned his willow branches - plain willow is listed as a 1. that's probably the confusion.

a rose, by any other name...

I think the "pussy willow" being given a "5" is some sort of mistake; my comments above apply to all willows in the genus _Salix_. They aren't toxic, don't have thorns, don't have irritating sap.

Huh? Where did you find that? When I look at the link, it shows willows listed as a "1" - non-toxic. I concur.

No willow has true thorns; I can not think of one that even has an approximation of a thorn. Not 100% sure, but it would seem that none have irritating sap, in that I can find no data to that effect.

And none are toxic, according to my references.

Willows are widely used for browse by many herbivorous species. People make a tea from the bark for a variety of ailments. Aspirin was originally isolated from a willow.

Seems OK for an outdoor habitat or for branch harvesting; they will not be suitable as an indoor plant.

It was listed under 'p' for pussy willow, salix capria *shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom