Water Pump?

You want to try and find a Shurflo 115 volt AC diaphragm pump with between 40 and 100 PSI. This is a high pressure, low volume pump. This is the ideal pump for a misting system. You can usually find a few of them on ebay from time to time for between $40 and $60.
Typical aquarium pumps will not work for misting systems as they can't handle the back pressure.
You can also buy the 12 Volt DC diaphragm pumps, but you will need to buy a transformer from radio shack to convert it to AC current. A simple transformer runs about $50.
I just checked ebay and there aren't any 115 volts right now but plenty of 12 Volt DC pumps.
Shurflo is the most common brand and is the same pump that all of the 'misting' systems use such as Pro Mist, MistKing, etc..
Keep checking ebay and you might get lucky.
Good luck.

I would call Pro-Mist and see if they will sell one of their pumps. Very nice, extreme duty and stealth silent. You can run them dry for years with no harm done (according to Pro-Mist) and they have a 3 year warranty. Plus you cannot beat the service, extremely helpful.

You are absolutely right that Pro Mist has an excellent pump and great customer service. No question :) . I considered buying their system myself, but I'm a DIY guy and part of the fun of setting up a chameleon enclosure for me is building it all myself.
However, the PMP-60 is $130 and the PMP-70 is $200 plus shipping.
If you have the money or don't want to hassle with attaching your own extension cord, then you can't go wrong with either pump.
However, you can find the same pump, or one very close to it, often for as little as $30, sometimes as much as $60, on ebay if you want to take the time looking. Add a $3 power cord and you have the same misting capabilities as the Pro Mist models.
All shurflo diaphragm pumps can run dry if the situation arises.
Regards!

I would call Pro-Mist and see if they will sell one of their pumps. Very nice, extreme duty and stealth silent. You can run them dry for years with no harm done (according to Pro-Mist) and they have a 3 year warranty. Plus you cannot beat the service, extremely helpful.

I just bought the diaphram pump that Sean reccommends on ebay. It arrives on wensday. Now I'm looking into buying DC/AC converters since the one I got has no power plug. But I've discovered that some sprinkler timers hook up to the pumps power just like a converter. One of the Orbit timers has the ability to turn a pump on and off. That's what I'm most likely gonna get.

hey, Im also looking to set up my own misting system.

I looked on ebay for Shurflo diaphragm but most of them are 12v

If I want a setup like Marc described with the sprinkler timer, do I need to get a transformer to 115v? Someone said a transformer is around 50 bucks, and a pump is likely to cost the same. So Im better off just getting 115v?

Im just not really understanding what the implications are between the 115v and the 12v

Back
Top Bottom