Warning on the 10.0 for Veiled female

eppcheck

Now this might not apply to every veiled female cham seeing as I've read many people use 10.0 on large enclosures successfully. Anyways, a month and a half ago I experimented using a 10.0 in her enclosure. My logic behind this was because the UVB rays would extend further down the larger enclosure (sources from reptisun state 12 inches down on 5.0 and 20 inches on 10.0). Provided enough foliage I figured she would be able to escape it if needed and utilize more of her cage while obtaining needed UVB. Well, today I found my veiled around 5:00pm with her eyes closed and towards the lower end of the enclosure. She seemed to be dozing off. I can't guarantee this is due to the higher UVB radiation, but from my research this is a sign of conjunctivitis. I've replaced it in the meantime with a extra 5.0 I had and believe I caught it before any other symptoms progressed. Her eyes look fine, but she is having her normal vet visit next week (yeah, I take my chams to the vet every 2 months $25 every expection. Weird, cheap, and worth it). Thought I should share my experience for future reference.

Linear but its not the only time I've seen her with her eyes closed during the day. I've caught her with her eyes closed during the day but she usually quickly opens them when I come near. Today her eyes were completely closed and she was pretty much sleeping very low in her enclosure. You think it might be something else?

If needed i'll post the help thingy in the morning if requested. It's late here and I that thing is a pain when your lazy and tired.

I don't think he has a ton to do with the lamp... if you are using a metal reflector like aluminum and the lamp is RIGHT on top of the cage... maybe, but if the lamp isn't reflected with a UVB reflective material, and it is a bit older (more than a month or two) and the lamp isn't right on top of the cage, I think the lamp is fine... might be a bit intense... but not enough to make her retreat to a low spot in the cage.

what time is she 'hiding'? is she gravid? is she eating? chams sleeping or closing eyes is a sign something isn't right..... but that could be a number of things, not just lighting. what is her basking spot like? what is her gutload and supplementing like?

Now this might not apply to every veiled female cham seeing as I've read many people use 10.0 on large enclosures successfully. Anyways, a month and a half ago I experimented using a 10.0 in her enclosure. My logic behind this was because the UVB rays would extend further down the larger enclosure (sources from reptisun state 12 inches down on 5.0 and 20 inches on 10.0). Provided enough foliage I figured she would be able to escape it if needed and utilize more of her cage while obtaining needed UVB. Well, today I found my veiled around 5:00pm with her eyes closed and towards the lower end of the enclosure. She seemed to be dozing off. I can't guarantee this is due to the higher UVB radiation, but from my research this is a sign of conjunctivitis. I've replaced it in the meantime with a extra 5.0 I had and believe I caught it before any other symptoms progressed. Her eyes look fine, but she is having her normal vet visit next week (yeah, I take my chams to the vet every 2 months $25 every expection. Weird, cheap, and worth it). Thought I should share my experience for future reference.
wow my vet charges 90$ :\

I had a female that had a similar thing with the eyes. I had aluminum foil over the UBV bulb so more would go into her cage. Well, the highest branch in her cage was right under the light. She got to the point she wouldn't open her eyes and I thought "uh oh". For 3 days I didn't give her any light. No basking light and no UVB. I propped both the bulbs up higher and moved them to a spot that was at the farthest corner of her cage where she couldn't get up close. For about a week I only gave her the bulbs in the morning. I had to fed her for about a week because she couldn't see to eat. Then, one eye opened. She had a great deal of trouble shooting, but I let her figure it out. After 3 weeks of this treatment she has her eyes open again. I would FYI anyone who rests their bulbs on the tops of their cages and puts the basking branch less then 6" from the bulb.

I usually take the 6% UVB linear tube of Arcadia, with reflector. Haven't had any problems on MBD or eye problems, in my country we always advice to use this linear tube. (Based on enclosures of 50x50x100 cm or 60x60x120 cm)

what time is she 'hiding'? is she gravid? is she eating? chams sleeping or closing eyes is a sign something isn't right..... but that could be a number of things, not just lighting. what is her basking spot like? what is her gutload and supplementing like?

She usually hides in the evening if she does. She's not gravid and she eats like a pig. I just assumed it had to do with 10.0 because thats the only thing I've changed recently. I gutload the crickets with a dry gutload from premiumcrickets.com and also with collared greens, oranges, apples, carrots, and limes. Occasionally I mix up the veggies though. The superworms are just fed the fortified worm bedding from premiumcrickets.com and carrots for moisture. Supplementing is just caclium w/o d3 every other feeding and calc w/ d3 once every other week. Same with the herptivite.

so what ur saying is your warning people about nothing? V strange.

I guess I'm warning people about my experience with the 10.0. It was suppose to be experimental anyways. My husbandry I believe to be very tradional with what everyone else does with their veiled with exception of using a 10.0 reptisun. Therefore, I assumed or narrowed down the cause to be it.

So what your saying is you replied for nothing? Thanks for your input.

uv 10.00 fine to use / but not compact coiled or spiral

I dont think it is the lights as long as its not the compact coiled it wont hurt her ive been using 10.00 for 2 years and my chams are doing fine. it is something else sounds like her temps might be too high or could be she is under stress from something.

I dont think it is the lights as long as its not the compact coiled it wont hurt her ive been using 10.00 for 2 years and my chams are doing fine. it is something else sounds like her temps might be too high or could be she is under stress from something.

Agreed, it possibly is something else. I'll just check temperatures and keep close observation of her. Might be stress she isn't very friendly but apart from that she looks great and no other health issues. Chams are just so delicate so any symptoms of a health issue gets me worried. I'll see if it continues under the 5.0

rinse his eye with saline solution and see if that helps. Also watch to see if he rubs his eye on anything. sorry if I missed it, but do you use live plants? If so, did you clean them well? sometimes they'll rub their eye on a branch and a flake can get in the eye... just look around for some causes....

getting into bed around 4pm isn't THAT bad... does your cham sleep any other time during the day?

I had a female panther and used a 10.0 strip light. She too had her eyes closed all day long and they were very puffy. Unfortunately she died.

I switched to a 5.0 when i got Oz and it was much better! I do use the 10.0 light now but only since ive moved Oz into his big man viv and he seems to be fine. Ide never use a 10.0 for a baby again after that x

rinse his eye with saline solution and see if that helps. Also watch to see if he rubs his eye on anything. sorry if I missed it, but do you use live plants? If so, did you clean them well? sometimes they'll rub their eye on a branch and a flake can get in the eye... just look around for some causes....

getting into bed around 4pm isn't THAT bad... does your cham sleep any other time during the day?

Lights are off at 9:00 but she gets on her sleeping branch sometimes around 8:00. When I caught her this time she was lower in the cage and eyes closed. Also, when I opened her enclosure to inspect her she acted as if she didn't see me until I was an inch away. She seems fine now but, like i said, she has closed her eyes before during the day briefly and when I come near she immediately opens them again (only done twice in last 3 months).

Yes, I have an umbrella tree in as well. I've cleaned off her urates and waste off the plants, but I wouldn't say I cleaned it "well". I'll take a closer look at her eyes but she hates being handled.

She'll be seeing the vet on Wednesday along with my other guys so I'll explain and he should be able to examine her better than me.

I'm thinking this thread was named inappropriately seeing as I jumped to conclusion before consulting with more experienced keepers. Either way I'm keeping the 5.0 on till the vet visit.

Back
Top Bottom