Wanted Opinions...

CalaMala

Before I bite off more then I can chew....I have a friend who has to move ASAP...she offered me a female Veiled. A little over a year, her enclosure, lights everything she has.
I wanted to get some opinions before I make a decision. I am a very routine person and as of right now I do a wonderful routine with Sayid and I know adding her will just increase the time I am misting and cleaning and so forth. I am not really concerned with the time to take care of her. I am more concerned with the increase in feeder expenses and the fact that she is a female. I am not sure how to tell if she is egg bound or ready to lay eggs. Or how to know if she wants to mate and if Sayid will be willing. How close can their enclosures be without them getting stressed out? Stuff like that.
I would really love to have her, but I don't want to bite off more then I can chew..and I don't want to upset the routine that Sayid is used to. Any ideas??
Thanx in advance :)

If you can have their enclosures side by side with a visual barrier in between them, like black plastic or something water proof it would be best. They can see eachother from across the room and it could stress them out. Feeders in bulk are cheaper than buying 100 at a time from a local store unless they are giving you good deals. It should not cost you much more than the electricity to run the extra set of lights.
You should search for gravid veilds in the forums. There have been many threads showing both receptive and gravid female veilds along with explanations on what to look for if she is getting ready to lay. Jannb's blog on laying bins comes to mind. Hope this helps.

Id def go for it. It's not as difficult as you think. Before you make a decision though I would do like reptoman said and read some of the forums about laying bins and gravid females

For a year old female veiled you would probably want to feed her every other or every two days maybe. Have her basking temp at 81-82f, keep a laying bin in the cage at all times and it should be at least a foot deep by a foot wide by a foot long and filled with washed playsand or washed playsand mixed with pesticide free soil. Then dust with calcium no d3 every feeding then do do the d3 or multivitamin on alternating weekends. There's some goo threads if you do some digging about it. Id say go for it :)

Before I bite off more then I can chew....I have a friend who has to move ASAP..
I am not sure how to tell if she is egg bound or ready to lay eggs. Or how to know if she wants to mate and if Sayid will be willing. How close can their enclosures be without them getting stressed out? Stuff like that.
I would really love to have her, but I don't want to bite off more then I can chew..and I don't want to upset the routine that Sayid is used to. Any ideas??
Thanx in advance :)
Question, is it free? Get it then.
You always want an egg laying bin in there anyway, and you'll have to learn to recognise the signs of egg laying/binding. Hint - starts with not eating........
Don't let them see each other until ready to introduce 'properly'. Of course you know Sayid is a little too young now for that, and you want everyone settled before you do the deed.
If you breed your own staple crickets, and mealworms are so easy to breed then the costs are even smaller, but insect prices are not to be concerned with. Is the uv bulb new enough?
If you are really nervous and/or worried about the expense or a bit of extra time spent cleaning and maintaining then of course don't step up. If you just want reassurance that you can cope as well as anyone with the new challenge then I for one say just do it!

Thanx everyone....She is asking $75 for all of it...I would buy a new UV bulb just to make sure it is good, and I will probably go see her set up in case I need to purchase anything else I feel she may need. I did not ask her about a laying bin, and I wonder what condition she is in. When I talked to her she told me she has never givin her anything but "crickets and that dust stuff", she did not even know about meal/super/or horn worms...which is a bit scary considering how much information is out there, if you look for it. I will keep you updated!!

well here is the update....
When I called her to tell her I would take it, she did not answer or respond to my message. I tried for a few days, then found out she gave her to someone else. I was disappointed but nothing I could do about it.

Well she called me the other day and told me that the cham had passed away. The person she gave it to said it looked really odd and acted funny, he thought perhaps just adapting to the new home. But sadly she was impacted with eggs and did not have a laying bin. :(

Needless to say I am even more disappointed!

I am sorry that happened to you and to the chameleon. Just be happy you didn't have the chameleon for a couple days and have it happen to you.

I am sorry this happened to you, before I read your post about her being given to someone else I intended to post a response about asking you to take her to a vet prior to purchasing her. I always do a prepurchase with my horses or show dogs. But I let my heart get the best of me and didn't before purchasing 2 chams from a couple on this forum. Had I done that I would not be dealing with the medical issues I am now.

Just goes to show that these animals are a lifestyle more than a hobby... I hope next time she understands what she has to know before killing one of these beautiful creatures. It's one thing I dread about ever breeding with Stanley is passing off one of the babies to a person who hasn't done the proper research... I hope with the growing demand for these guys, the information goes as viral as dog or cat care and people wake up to realize these aren't just forget-me pets... I'm sorry for the pain you must feel and IMHO I would dump that friendship lol,... Just me :p

When she called me she was annoyed by the person she purchased it from for not telling her it was possible to lay eggs without a mate. She was also annoyed by the guy she gave it to because he kept calling her and asking her questions. Her exact words were "Dude, everything you need to know is on the internet, just Google it" :mad: Yet she did not do that before she purchased it or for the year she had it...

I am so angry!

I know that if she would not have jumped the gun and gave her to some else, the cham would be alive. I know I don't know everything, but I have done so much research and read so much on this forum and other information sites that I know I would have been able to notice the signs and behaviors and she would be alive:( URGGGG

Back
Top Bottom