Vit A

I picked up two types of vitamins I plan to feed to my crickets, super worms and dubia.

The first is Nature Made brand Vit. A gel caps at 8000IU

Ingredients:
  • Soybean oil
  • Gelatin (non-bovine)
  • Glycerin
  • Fish liver oil (sardine)
  • Water

The second is Sundown Naturals fish oil 1000mg

Ingredients:
  • Gelatin
  • Vegetable Glycerin
  • Mixed Tocopherols
  • Contains fish (anchovy, mackerel,sardine) ingredients

Are these basically the same thing? Is one better than the other?

Looks Good,

I would probably stick with the one listed on the top considering you know the concentration of your gel caps. The type I use (retinal palmitate from carlson labs) has 15,000 IU's per gel cap. But to answer your question they do look basically like the same thing.
For me using a preformed vit a supplement is a preventative measure. Almost all of my chams will hand feed so I just drop a nice little drop on the head of a super or a cricket when they are hungry and make sure each one gets a small dose every two weeks.
Actually feeding them to the crickets/dubias may not work unless you were to put in on some of their gutload. I don't think they will eat just the gel caps. I like to put it right on the feeders so i know exactly how much they are getting.

See ya,

Todd

I think it's much safer just using a powdered multivitamin with preformed A, like reptivite. These gelcaps are cumbersome, expensive, and easy to overdose. A powder is not very concentrated, and minimal "prevenative" dosing is easy.

I think it's much safer just using a powdered multivitamin with preformed A, like reptivite. These gelcaps are cumbersome, expensive, and easy to overdose. A powder is not very concentrated, and minimal "prevenative" dosing is easy.

I personally use Reptivite with D3 (make sure you get the one with D3 because it is the only one with preformed vit a) However I do have retinal palmitate on hand because before I was using reptivite I was using herptivite and I had some chameleons that had hypovitaminosis A and didn't think that the concentration in reptivite was sufficient for my intensive purpose. I wouldn't say that it is any easier to overdose a cham on Vit A than it is with any other supplement as long as you keep track of what you are doing. I would NOT recommend using gel caps to someone who is inexperienced which I know Kevin isn't. As with everything balance is required to keep happy chameleons :)

See Ya,

Todd

whats the concentration of vitamin A on th second one?

i would go with what ever has the lowest amount of vitamin A. this at least for me makes it much easier to tell my dosage.

Back
Top Bottom