Veterinary Care

Hi everybody!,
This is something I have wanted to post about for awhile, but haven't figured out quite how to word it.

There are 2 things I have noticed are common issues with our chameleon care.
They both have to do with Vet care.

I am directing this at newer owners or those that are considering getting one. Those of us that already have them, for the most part have already had to figure this out.

When we speak to new/about to be new owners, we all agree a "Vet fund" is always necessary.
What might help along with this information, is to suggest making sure you have a Herp Vet within a reasonable distance and already have this info in your phone, pc, written down somewhere.
I read so often " I wish I could take my cham to a Vet, but I don't know where one is" or I don't feel like driving 2 hours to get to a Vet", or "There isn't one in my area".

These are things you should know prior to a purchase, and it should be part of your decision. If you think you won't need a Vet at some point, think again. We all need to know whom to go to, where they are located, and the funds to see one. If you cant afford a Vet visit (which I personally think your Vet should see your Cham while it is healthy, an annual exam) that too needs to figure into the equation.

Chameleons are fragile and hardy, they bounce back, some don't. But we need to be responsible Chameleon owners, and part of that is your Veterinary care.

ok, I will get off the soap box :p
thank you for reading, anne

thank you Jann, you know this all too well
I hope Im not being over the top with this.
I personally have my main Herp Vet and a close back up if needed. But I am luckier than some that I only have to drive an hour to get to a great Vet (each way!)

very well said anne! :). i have about 500 put away for vet fund with 4 chameleons something is bound to go wrong at one point and i wanted to be sure i have the funds for it!

I couldn't agree more. Although I do not have a reptile vet in my exact town. I have one that is very good within 30- 45 minute drive. This was already looked into when considered my first reptile. I too have back up vets... vets for the each specific pet that I have... Vets are not just there to take money... they actually do have a skill and access to medications that can help

As a vet tech I thank you!!! It is very frustrating to see ppl bash on vet clinics for charging $$$$ to treat a sick pet! This is something that ppl need to think about PRIOR to buying a PET OF ANY KIND!!! You may not think it fair but it does in fact cost $$$$ to have a pet - just like it costs $$$$ to have a child, or a car, or a house etc...etc...Fluffy is not FREE just because you LOVE him/her. :D

certain things you can not be outspoken enough. IMO- getting medical attention when it is needed ranks right up there. It pains me when people do not go and the result is a suffering or a dead Cham. Kudo's for putting it out there:):D

The younger people probably think I keep getting up their skirts, so I try to keep my soapbox to a minimum.

well they need to put their big people panties on and take responsibility.

When you are on your soap box, you are not cruel, harsh or inconsiderate. You have excellent advice and information.
Sometimes you have a lot to say and it usually has merit not just you typing for your own sake:D

well they need to put their big people panties on and take responsibility.

When you are on your soap box, you are not cruel, harsh or inconsiderate. You have excellent advice and information.
Sometimes you have a lot to say and it usually has merit not just you typing for your own sake:D

I agree completely. :) Excellent topic btw! I hope others take it into consideration.

Hear hear! Love this and it's true of any pet be it an exotic or a run of the mill dog or cat. People frequently pay hundreds of dollars for an animal and then expect a veterinarian to treat it for free. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way clinics have to make money in order to stay in business. Veterinarians don't go around asking others for free care at other businesses. They like others have to pay.

Plus I know lots of people look for payment plans. Unfortunately most vets go through a third party because people don't pay up and then they are up poop creek without a paddle. Its not that they don't care or are heartless but they have their own families and critters to consider not to mention their technicians, receptionists, and kennel assistants. Having a specific fund will help defray the costs to the point where it is not catastrophic to the household to treat a beloved pet.

Back
Top Bottom