Verrucosus Supspecies/Morphs?

What are all of the supspecies/morphs of Furcifer Verrucosus? I know of: Blue/Green morph, the most common, a cherry head morph Furcifer V. Semicristatus, and the olive morph with longer dorsal spines-does anyone know the name of this one? Is this all of them? Also, are any of the latter two available? Anyone here keeping either of those?

Thanks
-Justin

"Three color morphs have been described in males: the green-blue morph, the red-headed morph (with dark green underbelly and light green or blue dorsal region) and a darker olive green morph with longer dorsal crest spines. Adult coloration varies between sexes; females are variable in color between morphs. Nonreceptive females can be gray, taupe, rust or beige with a light or white lateral band. When receptive/gravid, females can display various orange/red coloration with the gravid redheaded morph displaying a bright rust color or dark brown with purple"....
http://web.archive.org/web/20070623...am.com/html/taxonomy/species/fverrucosus.html

This might help too....
https://www.chameleonforums.com/verrucosus-chameleon-observations-42785/

curious

know of any breeders or a good place to get a pair of these? i've seen some at LLL reptile....but i was just wondering about other places to get them....

Yeah, I was wondering the same. More so whether or not LLL has more than one locale available in both the Verrucosus and the Oustaleti. I haven't been able to try to get ahold of them yet but I'm hoping to find varying locales within their stock to purchase. I have not seen anyone with the locale with the extended dorsal spines and I really want to try to find some to work with. As far as the Oustaleti, I really want to find the locale that is very large and is lighter in color but has black stripes and patterns instead of the all brownish looking ones that I have seen lately. I'm not sure of the name of that locale at the moment :confused:

i've been watching the classifieds on this forum as well as a few others...not a highly advertised species up for sale though....

I would PM Vegas Chad. He may have some Verrucosus eggs incubating.

I have heard of three phases of Verrucosus, Brown Heads, Blue heads and Red heads.

Sorry no blonds.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was wondering the same. More so whether or not LLL has more than one locale available in both the Verrucosus and the Oustaleti. I haven't been able to try to get ahold of them yet but I'm hoping to find varying locales within their stock to purchase. I have not seen anyone with the locale with the extended dorsal spines and I really want to try to find some to work with. As far as the Oustaleti, I really want to find the locale that is very large and is lighter in color but has black stripes and patterns instead of the all brownish looking ones that I have seen lately. I'm not sure of the name of that locale at the moment :confused:
sorry, don't mean to fill it with links, but found one on kingsnake for ya to check out:

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=52&de=835230

don't know what color...not sure if the brown is the color or just the "not colored up"....

Trying to find any locale specific type of Verru or Oust at this point in time is for the most part useless. They are both on the cheap end of Madagascar animals and even if any came in from a different locale they would soon be split up being sent out from the importers to the wholesalers to the retailers, ECT…

The best chance to get specific locales will be for a breeder to work with an exporter and importer to get chameleons collected from a specific area kept grouped by areas, kept, packed and shipped as such. Unpacked and kept grouped by the importer and again sent as such to the breeder, cutting out the wholesale / retail people and finding the right importer and exporter will be the key to making this work.

I am trying to bring in Red headed verrus however it will be several months before I know more information on this and if it is even possible. Red heads are on the other side of the island and in not too sure if an exporter would be willing to collect them. Of course Im sure he would if the price was right, but keeping the venture affordable is something that also has to be considered. So to sum it up it’s a pain in the ass, with no guarantee as to if its possible at this point. :p

Back
Top Bottom