Veiled Chameleon

Debbienflorida

I have a 6 mo. old Veiled and was wondering when I should start feeding vegetables? If soon , what kind. The main plant in her enclosure is a Pothos , very dense but I don't see any leaves that appear munched. Right \now she eats crickets, Supers, Silkworms and soon, Phoenix worms. TIA :)

my veiled likes to eat lettuce(hung from the sides of the cage) grapes, strawberries, and bananas(cut in small slices and skewered onto a stick that is stuck into the dirt of a pot)

I think there should be a sticky for this question. So many people ask this question and it is valid as I keep trying to offer a varied diet to my chams. Brad, could we have one? Do we have one?

my cham

My cham is 2.5 months old and has been munching on my pothos in his enclosure. Last night I tried to feed him some spinach; however, he didn't seem to like it. What fruits and vegetables are healthy substitutes or additions to a chams diet?

Spinach is not something you should be feeding your cham. Romain, kale, strawberries, watermelon, snow peas, apples, etc. I chop mine up small and give them a bit every day or so. I have one that just likes the strawberries and one that just likes the kale. I think that they also will eat a piece or two of the snow peas, but trying out the good stuff is helpful. They will decide what they want to eat.

I keep box turtles and uros so I give the veileds the same things that I give them...greens (dandelion, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet red peppers, sweet potato, zucchini, celery leaves, etc.) and a bit of fruit (apple, pear, melon, berries, etc.).

The leaves can be hung up, fruit wedges impaled on branches or everything can be cut into pieces of a suitable size for the chameleon to eat and put in a container.

I would offer collard greens and other dark leafy greens (again, not spinach) from the very beginning.
Kitty was eating them at 5 weeks old.
I still don't understand the idea that you need to wait until a certain age ... who came up with that???

-Brad

today

Today my cham actually shot his tongue out at an apple slice I put in front of him. He did this repeatedly and couldn't get the piece to stick to his tongue and then into his mouth. I crushed the apple up some more to the size of a 1/4 cricket. He tried it again and it still didn't work. So I put the piece right up in to the chams mouth region and he just bit at and finally consumed it. He seemed to like it. Is there a better way to feed him crushed apples and other food that he can't use his tongue to get?

He should learn to just walk up to a wedge of apple and pick it up like other lizards do that don't have the "chameleon tongue".

Back
Top Bottom