Veiled Chameleon, won't eat or drink!!

monster

I have a male veiled chameleon, he won't eat and is very dehydrated. I actually took him to two different vets this past month but I need some extra help!

Chameleon age: 4 yrs old (I only had him for 3 weeks.... he was a rescue)
Temp: regularly 65-75*F; Basking temp 85-90; night time it hits low 50*F
Light: has a 24" long UVB light (zilla); a basking lamp with UVB (solar brite)
Water: he has a humidifier (home made), two drippers (one is a homemade using a water bottle, the other is the little dripper from zoo med)
Humidity: has never reached below 50% can go up to 80% (right after the humidifier session)
Location: he is in my room, on my desk, very little to no traffic and noise. Half of his cage receives shaded sunlight (by a window) while the other half is completely shaded.
Handled: I handle him 1 a week for cage cleanup (but the last 2 weeks he has had extensive handling/stress induced by vet visitations)
Feed: has crickets (large.. 1") I release 7-10 daily; he also has a separate elevated dish for meal worms, butter worms, horn worms, silk worms and super worms. (I have yet to feed him roaches... and am still dreading the day when I will have to)
The feeders have fresh oranges, carrots, lettuce, apples and peaches. (I do not give them commercial gut loaders)
Supplements: I have Repti cal with D3 and Reptivite (currently I have him on reptivite every feeding... he is vit A deficient); while he has reptical with D3 once a week.

Medical history: He has hook worms and whip worms (currently being treated with Panacur), has vit A deficiency (corner of his left eye is severely swollen), the vet also states that he is very dehydrated and skinny...

Problem: I have had him for about 3 weeks, he came in a small 12X12X18" glass enclosure, with filthy substrate (wreaked of mold, feces and basically death) The first week of having him, I purchased his new enclosure (2X2X3' screen cage), ficus plant, proper lighting and his humidifier. However, when I took him to the vet for a general checkup/fecal (had blood in his feces) the vet determined that he had parasites. That of which I am currently treating, then I noticed a fluid like sac in the corner of the eye, the vet then determined it was vit A deficient. However, it has been two days since the vet visit, I went and purchased horn worms, silk worms, butter worms, and crickets rotating his diet (crickets as his staple). But his appetite has severely decreased (refuses to eat any of the worms, and has ate 1 cricket the last 2 days) I am very concerned for him. I really don't want to take him on another hour long drive to my vet and stress him out even more. Please help!!!!

I have a sick little one too. They can go for a couple of weeks without eating much (not good but not deadly by itself).

Water is more important.

I have put a long (24 inch) piece of tubing on the water dripper and many times a day hold the tube right above the end of the snout so the water drips down his nose. I have also held the hose right up to his closed mouth and wiggled it and waited for him to get irritated so he kinda smacks his lips and gets a bit of water that way. More frequent shorter mistings.

And when it was really bad, I used a diabetic syringe to inject water/medicine into soft bodied worms and force fed him with those by gently pulling down on the skin of his chin until he opened his mouth so I could pop his worm in. Then he was eating a bit too:)

You can also go to fishing/sports supplies place and get a thing called a worm blower for filling bait worms with air. But instead, fill the bottle with water and inject the bugs that way.

I talked to the vet earlier today, she's recommending force feeding. I'm now faced with an ethical decision... should I attempt to force feed and stress him out even more, holding on to the hope that he will get better, or do I let him go before his suffering continues.

I did attempt to give him water by directly putting the dripper above his snout, he has shown no interest. I have also tried to force feed some of the butter worms, also no interest. He is completely lethargic... and if his health deteriorates more by the end of tomorrow, I will be faced with the difficult decision to let him go with as little pain as possible. I think this will be the most humane and caring act I can do for my little Moco. I do thank you for your response, and I will post an update of his health. I can only hope for the better and his well being.

I sure wish there were more experienced people helping you out with this!

I thought my little guy was a goner many times too but just continued on with forcefeeding a water-bug and med-bugs as the vet said. It was a few weeks that that was all he ate and he would only drink on his own very occasionally. Our story is a long one and still going but if you want to read it, it is in the health clinic under "Mister Twister has a bit of the wobblies".

But, it is your call. And a tough one to make. I don't envy the position you are in. I just wish you the best no matter what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom