Veiled Chameleon area size

Anitec21

Hello chameleon owners I don't own a chameleon yet I done my homework on them and I'm going to own one I have 2 questions 1 is can a juvenile live in a 24x24x48 mesh terrarium? 2nd what basking wattage bulb is needed I have a 75 watts is that good or do I need more watts I know they need UVB lighting too

I think most people here will advise you that a 24x24x48 is better suited for an adult instead of a baby vieled. better that you go with either a 12x12x24 or an 18x18x36 then upgrade later to the 24/24/48.

It actually depnds on the cham. he said a juvenile, and they can handle an adult cage.
babies can too, if you dont fill the entire cage with plants, and you teach them to cup feed, babies can do just fine in an adult cage. JMO

camimom is giving you some good advice if you have already purchased the cage or only want to purchase one. They def need a good uvb tube light, and the wattage will depend on the age of the animal and the basking temp, you may need to go up or down. The surrounding temp and distance between the light and basking area plays a part as well. For most juveniles I use a 60watt household bulb. For basking you usually do not need a special bulb of any kind. Also definitely read the blog Hoj posted.

Thank you bigcappa.
Also, you can use the adult cage, but not utilize the whole space.
you can put smaller plants in, and place your uvb and basking bulbs on the sides instead of the top. this way, theres simply less for him to get into, and you can find him easier, as well as less space for feeders to go if you free range them.
JMO.

Back
Top Bottom