uvb problem.. best to place in or outside the cage?

jurjenfromholland

hiya guys!! i haveing a problem if got a cage thats 80 high
and 50 wide.. in the middle of the top if got a bar thats 10 cm..
wide and 50 long of iron gass rest of the cage on top is glas..
now on the left side i have on top my 100watt basking spot light
but now i have a problem of finding the right spot for my uvb.. light
like this 427638_3017369790959_1164049431_32359285_146800403_n.jpg
any suggestions ... first i was thinking about a exo terra
uvb holder like this PT-2225_Compact_Top_Packaging.jpg
or 1 like this but some bit higher because the lamp is to long p351-zoo_med_repti_deep_dome_lamp_fixture_verpakking.jpg Advice please ! its for a veiled one ;)
THX already!

if the top is glass then you cannot set the uvb on top as the rays wont pass through. How is the basking light heating up the basking area throough the glass? Is that your cage pictured? If so it needs a few changes...

ye thats my cage.. ummm under the basking spot its 28* degrees
dont know how much that is in english terms..
umm well someone on this forum sayed is if i got a dome..
and i put my uvb light in there on top of my roaster the beems of uvb will go trough there?

to my knowledge uva, which would be your basking will pass through glass but uvb will not. I would also get your cage up off the floor (maybe you plan on doing so). Chameleons do not like to be low. Also, I am assuming you are adding plants and stuff? BTW, who said the uvb would be fine on top of the glass?? There are certain types of glass that will allow small amounts of uvb to pass but how can you be certain that you have the right glass? plus you would be cutting out most of the uvb anyways and you dont want to do that.. how is the cage ventilating?

its not on top of the glas... just like i said in my post mate ;)
its on top of my vent rosters.. if got a 26w repti glow 5.0 compact..
lamp ;) ofc plants will come buy them when im getting my kameleon and its a table where my cage is standing on not good to see i guess ;) same colour as my floor ;)

ok, not familiar with that type of cage and what vent rosters are. How wide of space is provided by the vent for the light to shine through? Just did not want you to get your cham and think your are providing uvb and then be depriving him of it the whole time!!!!

Im the one who said to put the UVB on top, but not on the glass. ;)

i think what we have here.. is a failure to communicate... :p

you may want to look into removing the glass top alltogeth and putting mesh there.

Im the one who said to put the UVB on top, but not on the glass. ;)

i think what we have here.. is a failure to communicate... :p

you may want to look into removing the glass top alltogeth and putting mesh there.

he says it is vented but I don't know if that is enough of a space for the light to shine through. he said 12cms.

jurjenfromholland, can you explain what material the "roaster" is made of? In the picture its hard to be sure.:p;)

he says it is vented but I don't know if that is enough of a space for the light to shine through. he said 12cms.

yea i dont know if its going to work.
which is why i suggested removing the hwole top and adding mesh.

and the cage wont get heated enough with that small vent thing holding basking and uvb lghts.

If it is mesh, I agree putting lights on it is going to impede his airflow.

It seems like he may have to replace some of the top with screen no matter what ;/

Hahahah i realy have no clue.. but i think its realy standard type of ventilation
rosters stuff that they use for terrariums ...
and about the glass.. dunnow bout that..
kinda dont wanna do that like the cage like this.. and
because its kinda cold in holland..
i need to get a night lamp to then for the eveninings..
now with no lamps on its 21* and with lamps on its against
29* THX FOR THE suggestions!

Hahahah i realy have no clue.. but i think its realy standard type of ventilation
rosters stuff that they use for terrariums ...
and about the glass.. dunnow bout that..
kinda dont wanna do that like the cage like this.. and
because its kinda cold in holland..
i need to get a night lamp to then for the eveninings..
now with no lamps on its 21* and with lamps on its against
29* THX FOR THE suggestions!

Is it the stuff that is like a bunch of open square holes?

Your nite temp can go down to 10C with no issues.

Never use a night lamp/light for chameleons.(it can keep them awake)
If it goes below 10 use a ceramic heater.;)

I understand about not wanting to tear up that cage, it looks nice.

You will need the hot air to leave at the top though, and that will pull the cool fresh air through your bottom vent;)

yee thats the thing to! got it from my dad
last birthday :p so.. realy dont wanna tair things apart
... ok so the temprature is not a problem then ..
its not that i am getting my chammeleon tommorw :p
but realy wanna work things .. out..
if i put my uvb light in a dome it looks like this
img1476296449.jpg

Jurjen, I think if you move your basking bulb all the way to one side, and have the UVB bulb right next to it, there should be enough remaining space for air to escape effectively. You could set it all up, and take some temp readings after a while. Thats really the only way to find out;)

Back
Top Bottom