UV lighting whats your take which is good or not

Cham King

We have heard a few thing about UV lighting for panthers and want to here some more views on these below and what most use

Uv sprial compact bulbs 2.0 and 5.0

Zoomed 5.0 flourscent tubs

Mercury vapor bulbs "Mega ray"

Definitely not the compact bulbs. Some people use them, but I wouldn't take the chance with eye damage. Someone on this forum suggested staring at one. I tried it for a few seconds and it was horrible. I wouldn't want to look at one for 12 hours every day.
I don't know if the zoomeds are the same as the reptisuns, and I don't know anything about the mercury vapor bulbs.

someone here posted good info about the compacts. Maybe do a search in the enclosures section. Some people use them, but I won't take a chance. I'm still fairly new, so I can't offer much more than I have. This forum is amazing for info, though. Great that you're doing your research. Do you have a cham yet?

I use a Reptisun 10.0, but thats just me. Most people on here use the 5.0's and definetley(sp) don't recommend the compact(spiral) lamps. As far as the Mega Rays go, you really need to pay attention to the temp and uvb output on those and adjust it accordingly.

Yes, stay away from the compacts. Too much chance of blinding your chams. I'm sure you can find plenty of posts about it if you search the forums.

I use the Reptisun 5.0. They are a little better quality than the Reptiglo. I saw a spectrum anaysis on here somewhere.

I don't know anything about the mercury vapors.

Yes, stay away from the compacts. Too much chance of blinding your chams. I'm sure you can find plenty of posts about it if you search the forums.

I use the Reptisun 5.0. They are a little better quality than the Reptiglo. I saw a spectrum anaysis on here somewhere.

I don't know anything about the mercury vapors.

Are the Reptisuns a lot better? Are the Reptiglos ok. I just bought a reptiglo and it's only been used for about a couple of hours, so I'm stuck with it. If it's really not good I can get a reptisun.

Reptisun is better, but Reptiglo is okay. I have used ReptiGlo without issue for many many years. If you want to know why Reptisun is better, check this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/repti-sun-5-0-a-13239/

Mercury vapour lamps have advantages, in that they can provide heat, light and UV light all at once, in one unit. A friend uses them (a VERY large space, free-range set-up). In my opinion they are harder to control (temps and amount of UV), they are hot and need to be further above the cage (reducing how high the cage can be unless you have really high ceilings), they are delicate (filiments die easily). I've heard the Mega-Ray runs cooler than many other MVs.

LOTS of links to info about lighting in this blog entry:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/68-lighting-links.html

Last edited:
UV ligting

Well ive have been keeping and breeding panther chameleons for many years on and off. but as years go by new products come and go. Just trying to see what stood out with time and proved to be best to use.

I taking it zoomed reptisun 5.0 is still the best to use.

On these sprial compacts which ones are known to be blinding 2.0 or 5.0 or dose it matter. I know of dart frog breeders who use these but i never heard of problems with blindness. Its used to keep plants growing.

It doesn't matter which spirals, they can all cause problems. I don't know if they effect other animals though. Don't regular florescents allow the plants to grow too? My enclosure is nowhere near a window, and they are doing great. Anyone?

It doesn't matter which spirals, they can all cause problems. I don't know if they effect other animals though. Don't regular florescents allow the plants to grow too? My enclosure is nowhere near a window, and they are doing great. Anyone?

Spirals do indeed affect other animals too, there is a link on my blog post about that. Regular flourescents also allow plants to grow too, they emit the same rays as compacts, except compacts release rays in a harmful/uncontrolled manner. UV rays do not penetrate through glass, so having your enclosure next to a window does not affect the growth of your plants (it can however heat up your cage easily/quickly so use caution).

Yes, that was the one. Thank you. You have all my favourite types of chams :)

Really? Do you have any of these species? I am obsessed with all three, the only thing I am missing is a Parson's :p.

People always talk bad about the compacts, but don't confuse all compacts because the Zoo Med compact is not spiral and is not as bright as the spiral reptiglo. I have used the compact Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 and it works great. But I have recently taking 3 small cages and put one large 48" reptisun 5.0 to cover all 3 cages. It's pretty cool since all the bulbs regardless of the size cost the same price. Reptiglo is definitely better than Reptisun, but most pet stores carry the Reptisun I believe because they are probably cheaper as all the pet stores sell both Hagen and Zoo Med products.

People always talk bad about the compacts, but don't confuse all compacts because the Zoo Med compact is not spiral and is not as bright as the spiral reptiglo. I have used the compact Zoo Med Reptisun 5.0 and it works great. But I have recently taking 3 small cages and put one large 48" reptisun 5.0 to cover all 3 cages. It's pretty cool since all the bulbs regardless of the size cost the same price. Reptiglo is definitely better than Reptisun, but most pet stores carry the Reptisun I believe because they are probably cheaper as all the pet stores sell both Hagen and Zoo Med products.

Compacts are dangerous, yes there are instances where some people have had no problems. But those who do have problems (and quite a few do), have serious problems. So why take the risk? Zoo Med spirals are compacts and therefore dangerous. Reptiglo is better than the reptisun? I think you may have mixed those around :p

sprial

wow im glad i started this topic. I never heard all these issues with sprials. I never used them yet and most likley wont ive always used reptisun tubs i just light the compact part.

I have a question maybe someone can anwser how much UV for a panther is too much and whats too little when read with a UV meter. Being they live in trees in the wild which filters out some sun rays,but even in shade its higher than the bulbs we buy. So with that being said why do some say mercury vapor high UV output bulbs are too much UV for them.

Thanks for all your replies to this topic.

IMG_9379.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

UV Guide

wow im glad i started this topic. I never heard all these issues with sprials. I never used them yet and most likley wont ive always used reptisun tubs i just light the compact part.

I have a question maybe someone can anwser how much UV for a panther is too much and whats too little when read with a UV meter. Being they live in trees in the wild which filters out some sun rays,but even in shade its higher than the bulbs we buy. So with that being said why do some say mercury vapor high UV output bulbs are too much UV for them.

Compacts and mercury bulbs can in fact produce higher UV output than the sun would produce in a chameleons natural enviornment :eek:. That is why they are not recommended.

If you have a meter... You want to have somewhere between 12-30μW/cm² maybe up to 50μW/cm². I keep my UVB around the 20-30μW/cm² if I can.

I wouldn't use a MV or MH lamp without a meter to properly setup the lamp's distance from the basking area. Having a temp gun to take body temp readings would help as well.

In a free range I have I use two 36" 10.0s with a reflector and get a perfect amount of UVB in almost the entire free range. The lamps are about 20-24" above where the chameleon roams around.

The rays a cham sees hiding out in a tree can be kind of low. Yes at times they do spike a bit. Keep in mind that the UVB a cham sees during the day will rise and fall as the sun moves through the sky. So a cham might see 100μW/cm² for part of the day in the shade... but it isn't allllll day. and for a couple of hours in during the day they don't see much UVB at all as the sun rises and falls. Even with an hour or more of light at the end of the day i get very low UVB on my meter even in direct sunlight.

Here is a thread showing how the UVB swings with the clouds passing...

Here is look at the new 10.0 T8 lamps from Zoo Med... I have 5.0's but haven't tested them yet.

Here is a thread about some readings I took on some mildly used T8 Reptisun lamps I had... It shows the effects of screen and reflectors used with the lamps.

Back
Top Bottom