Using "wild" branches in enclosure?

m1ndless

I have some bamboo growing in my back yard, could I cut some off and use it as vines for my little guy?

Also, could I use other dead brances in the tank that I find out in the desert by my house, or would that be dangerous for the cham?

If I can't use these, what do you guys use for branches/vines for the cham to crawl around? The fake things from petsmart or what?

I only use one vine that goes to the floor, but generally your cham wont go there. Thats just an "in case" vine for him to climb up should he fall. But if you do want to use stuff from outside, soak it in warm water + dish soap, or even bake it in the oven. Either way you'll kill harmful eggs/bacteria. Also try and make sure it isnt splintering either.

It is extremly important to sterlize everything before you put it into your chameleon cage.
I have some bamboo growing in my back yard, could I cut some off and use it as vines for my little guy?
Bamboo is fine as long as you can find branches that are skinny enough that your chameleon can wrap his claws around and get a good grip on. Before you put any branches from outside they must be sterilized properly.

Also, could I use other dead brances in the tank that I find out in the desert by my house, or would that be dangerous for the cham?
Try to get branches that are smooth and won't hurt your chameleon. They also must be sterilized first. To sterilize you mush scrub them with bleach, 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Let the branchs soak in it for awhile, then allow them to dry in the sun.

If I can't use these, what do you guys use for branches/vines for the cham to crawl around? The fake things from petsmart or what?
I use fake vines from petco or petsmart such as Fluker's Bend A Branch: http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom/index.jsp?productId=2753958

I will try to use some babboo, it all varies in thickness, from thinner than a pencil to about 2 inches wide, so ill look for some smaller stuff that will work, thanks!

So I can use any branch/twig I find with no leaves on it? It won't be harmful to my cham? Thanks!

Last edited:
As long as the branch does not have sharp points anywhere on it, it doesn't splinter, and you sterilize it real good then its good to go into the cage.

Awesome, thanks!

What do you guys mainly use for your cham to climb around on, besides ficus and other house plants? My tank is about 24" wide, so I wanted to have 1 plant on each side with vines/branches going between and through the plants...

I don't have a camera but this is how is pretty much how it is set up right now.. (ignore crappy drawings of plants, they look better than that I swear! :) )

This is not exact, but close enough.. The wavy brown lines are simulated random vines and branches I have going across now, and then the two squares of green are the plant body, they take up about 60% of the tank and are about 3-4 inches away from eachother.

Do you have a UVB light in there somewhere as well? I would recommend getting a screen enclosure rather then putting him in a tank. But the tank looks good (I think, from the picture:confused:). As long as he will have plenty of hiding places so he will feel safe and he can get to the basking light and the uvb. You shouldn't use this tank for a long time, you need to get a screen enclosure to allow better ventilation. ALso, make sure there is enough room to allow him to move around and hunt efficiently.

Yes, I have UVB lighting, I just forgot to draw that in. It's not mounted yet, cuase I was not sure how high above the tank to mount it, can it sit like 1 inch aboce the screeen top?

Do I even need a screened top if there is no branches that would allow him to get out?

I am only using the glass aquarium for ~3 months, then I am building a 42"x21"x21" all screened enclosure. For now, I am going to mount a small fan above the tank to give it a slight breeze in there, to simulate natural airflow, will that work alright for now? It adds a slight airflow to the tank, its barley enough to make the leaves of my plants move, is that too much air blowing in or enough?

He will have alot of room to move around, but should I put more brances lower to the ground? His diet, like most, will me mostly crickets, and they will only stay on the ground right? I want him to be able to get the crickets..

Last edited:
I am not quite sure about the fan. In my opinion I would use a fan at all. I used a tank in the first 3 months as well and they did just fine and I didn't use a fan. I would be concerned about the fan drying his eyes out or something. I suggest not using the fan, they will be ok until you get the screen enclosure. I don't think you will need to add more sticks to the bottom, he will already probably be close enough to reach the crickets that are on the ground. The crickets will climb up in the plants if there are sticks touching the ground, which is ok. You could also think about cup feeding him right away, so then once you get a screen cage he will already be used to it if you need to use the cup method.

I had mine sit right on top of the cage when I first got them. I think it will be fine 1" above depending on how close they get to it and what the strength of the light is.

Last edited:
I used a screen on top just in case and I placed everything right on top of it. I was able to do this because I had a very deep tank.

I am using a 24" 20 watt ReptiSun 5.0 for te UBV and a 50 watt floodlight and fixture for the basking spot, I have the temps right now it was too hot for babies so I moved it up and now its at about 89 with ambient temps of ~80 but goes down to about ~70 at night.

I think the ambient temperature should be a little bit lower. About 75F would be pretty good if you could get it to do that. Did you get my pm?

Back
Top Bottom