Urgent Pygmy Help Needed

joeandsoph

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Well you may know that I got a baby Pygmy the other day from a breeder, full set up included. He seemed a little unstable on his feet when I got him but I really just put this down to his feet being so small that he couldn't walk on my hand. Anyway I've pretty much left him alone so as not to stress him out too much but I went to see him this morning and he doesn't seem well at all. He was on the floor and keep reaching up but there's nothing there. He keeps falling over and can't seem to cling to his leaves. I'm not sure he's eating as he's not eating from the food I've offered him but there's plently in his tank, but I'm worried he's too small to find them, I think his tanks too big. I'm sure when I go home tonight, he's going to be dead. I'm so worried and so upset, I just want him to do well. Could it be possible that he's blind, he doesn't seem to see what he's doing, then he reaches or walks it's amost like his fron end is weighing him down and he keeps leaning forward :-(

PLEASE HELP!

Sorry to hear your new little one is having so much trouble! Unforunately when they are this small there is little, if anything, you can do for them besides giving them what they need to get better on their own. The symptoms sound very strange. A day or two without food would not be enough for him to starve, even at that age. I would contact the breeder asap and let them know what it happening. When they're that little they are easily affected by stress so do not try to help him up or force feed him or anything. That amount of stress could push him over the edge. I don't know why he seems to be blind and is falling. Make sure he feels hidden (may need to wrap the sides of the tank), the temps are right and mist the leaves above him from time to time. Do not mist him directly and I wouldn't put any more feeders in there as that could be stressful when they crawl on him. I know it is going to be very difficult to just sit back and watch but it's really the best thing for him right now. Too much stress can push him over the edge and he's too small for any veterinary care. It doesn't sound good but I hope the little one pulls through for you! Just hang in there and keep us updated!

The breeder should do something for you since they gave you the setup and it's been only 2 days - doesn't sound like you did anything wrong on your part.

In a way I hope he is stressed and will calm down and hope theres nothing actually wrong with him. Let's hope he's a little fighter, I just can't understand why he keeps falling over. He seems really weak... It's hard with such a little tiny thing because you can't feel their grip like with a bigger cham and you can see anything obviously wrong. It's really sad :-(

Last edited:
Are his eyes sort of sunk in? The photos you posted of him yesterday, he looks, to me, like he may have been a bit dehydrated. It's hard to say for sure from the photos though. Sorry that he is struggling. I hope he pulls through for you.

Hi,

His eye's look perfectly fine. I normally notice things like this from having other chameleons. It's the first thing I looked for. To be honest he looks fine, it's just his behaviour. Any other suggestions anybody?

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy - I've had a few Pygmy's before and at times they were so very difficult to "care" for..... It sounds/looks like you're doing everything right and have more than enough experience to care for them - so let's just hope that it is just stress from the new environment, I agree with Ferret - try putting something around his cage so he can have a little "privacy" while he adjusts.... Good luck!

I think tonight I'll move him to my spare bedroom and put towels around his tank. I've worried about him all day :-(

I took a look at your picture post from yesterday and contrary to the comments given I think your new little ones look sick and close to death in those shots. Both the males and females eyes are sunken and colours are washed out. (See pics 2 [male] and 3 [female] as examples)

I'm not sure what really can be done about pygmies. A lot of these guys come in as wild caught imports and due to their small size are almost doomed from the get go. Are you positive they are captive bred? If so, did you get them from the breeder looking like that?

Keeping the temperatures low and providing lots of privacy and water should help.

Exactly how big is your pygmy? When I use to get WC's in they were normally pretty pale looking. If it is adult size youll never know the its real age and it could be close to the end of its life. You might want to get a small plastic tank and put some fake foliage in it with a paper towel bottom. This way you can monitor it's feeding and drinking. Don't actually watch but count the amount of food items you put in and small check ups when you mist. If it's still juvie or baby size you might want to keep them in there until they are big enough to hunt in the bigger tank.

Hi Trace,

I'm a little confused by your male and female comment as they are both the same chameleon. 1 chameleon just different photos. I'm not sure how he looked when taken from the breeder as I didn't fetch him, my boyfriend did.

I don't know what to do for the best, as he just falls off the branches, he doesn't seem to be able to cling to anything. I'm sure he will die but still I want him to be as comfortable as possible. We're trying not to handle him, but I'm thinking of putting him in my cricket keeper with some branches and trying to nurse him back to health.

What are you thought on this, every little thing is going to stress him out. He's currently on the floor toward the back of his tank not attempting to move.

I took a look at your picture post from yesterday and contrary to the comments given I think your new little ones look sick and close to death in those shots. Both the males and females eyes are sunken and colours are washed out. (See pics 2 [male] and 3 [female] as examples)

I'm not sure what really can be done about pygmies. A lot of these guys come in as wild caught imports and due to their small size are almost doomed from the get go. Are you positive they are captive bred? If so, did you get them from the breeder looking like that?

Keeping the temperatures low and providing lots of privacy and water should help.

One more thing though if I put him in a small plastic tank what do I do about his UV?? Cos I can't put a UV light on a tiny box?

In pic two of your other thread the specimen appears male because of the distinct hemipenal bulge. In pic three the animal lacks that telltale marker. In my haste to get some thoughts out to you earlier I thought perhaps you got a pair and I just didn't see that information in the original thread and/or you had an existing pygmy already in your collection. My apologies if that caused confusion! I suspect, and through no fault of your boyfriend, you received a sickly animal to begin with.

I raised my brevicaudatus in small Kritter Keepers or Rubbermaids with a few sticks to climb on, a plant cutting with paper towel bottom until they were big enough to go into a planted adult enclosure. I think it's a good idea to move him there so he can find food, get around easier and maintain a decent humidity level. If you are concerned about access to UV you can always put the smaller bin inside your bigger enclosure until he feels better.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Hi Trace,

That's exactly what I've done. Had no choice but to move him in the end. He slept through the night and was still alive this morning, so he's had a mist and he's got a little bit off food in there. I covered the sides up so people can't disturb him. Hopefully he will pull through but it's not looking good. There isn't really anything else we can possibly do, I don't think he was in great health when he arrived with us. But none the less I don't care, even the runts need a home right? I'm hoping to nurse him back to health but if he does pass I know we've done everything we can to make it as comfortable as possible for him.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know the little guy didn't make it. He died a few hours ago. There's nothing anyone could have done to save him but thanks for all your help :-(

So Sorry to hear that he didn't make it... you tried and did everything you possibly could..... he was just so tiny! Hope this doesn't discourage you from raising another!
Glenna

Thanks everyone. It doesn't deter me but I'm going to wait a little while, I feel bad getting more so soon after him. Kind of feels like I'm just replacing him. I know I only knew him 3 days but I became attached and he became a little part of the family, especially trying to see him through a tough time.

Awww, I am so sorry you lost him. :( It really doesn't help that they are so tiny either. Hopefully any future Pygs will be nice and healthy from the start.

Back
Top Bottom