URGENT HELP!! Egg laying outdoors??!!!

Supergirl

today we had our WC ambilobe girl, Lilu getting some natural sunshine in the outdoor enclosure on our front deck. We rotate all our chams so they can each get some sun while the weather permits. She's a WC ambilobe which we've suspected was gravid. She has a 5 gallon bin with playsand in her indoor enclosure.. she has not dug any test holes or seemed the least bit interested in it. Today she was outside on the deck enclosure, and when we went to check on her a minute ago she was on the floor laying eggs!!! 2 fertile eggs on the floor!! We are freaking out!! Could it be that her being WC may prefer laying outdoors??? Should we put her bin in the outdoor enclosure??? As of now we put her inside her indoor enclosure, with bin, and put up privacy curtain to see if she digs. It just seems like she enjoys the outdoor enclosure much more than the indoor one. Does anyone have any experience with females laying outdoors???

I don't have any experience with laying outside but hopfuuly she will just finish inside. Keep us posted.

I hope so! It just seems like she had absolutely no interest in her laying bin in the indoor enclosure. How soon should we go peek to see if she's digging/laying ? Should we just leave her alone until tomorrow?? If by tomorrow she hasn't dug or laid in the bin, should we try placing the laying bin in the outdoor enclosure?? We just really did not expect this today.. she has been eating and acting normal

update

No go on digging/laying in her indoor enclosure. We peeked in this morning and she was on top of her perch basking as she usually does. Not showing the least bit of interest in her laying bin (5 gal bucket w/ playsand). So as "plan b" we've set up a secondary bin with organic topsoil in the outdoor enclosure, and put a small schefflera planted in the laying bin (as shown in Dez's video). We also put pothos all around the outside of the enclosure, to give her privacy, and have a shower curtain/tarp ready to cover the enclosure incase we get some rain. Lilu seems to thrive outdoors... maybe she feels more comfortable in a more "natural" setting :confused: Keeping our fingers crossed hoping she likes it and starts digging & laying soon!

*edit*
Here's a few pictures of the improvised outdoor laying bin enclosure
2012-07-201239211.jpg

2012-07-20153310.jpg

hard to tell from the picture but we placed pothos vines all around the outer lattice to cover as much as possible. this deck is in the front of our house so we've been using the backdoor to get in & out, trying leave her undisturbed.

Last edited:
Just took a peek outside thru the window and she is circling the rim of the bin!! I hope this is a good sign!! This is the only time I've seen her show any interest whatsoever in a bin. How long should we leave her alone?? Should we leave her out there overnight?? :confused:

Your just down the road from me in SC, so the temp there is a bit more than here i assume, but its been lucky to be in the 80's up here at night... let alone see a 70's drop. But the heat and humidity may be kicking her system up a notch while out there, making her more interested in moving and laying it out. /shrug

I read some place online about something similar wish I could find it. I have a wc female nosey faly coming and have been reading up on the females more lately.

Anyways it something about the wc females not responding to playsand as much as a mix or topsoil due to the color of the playsand being so different than their natural habitat and recognizing it if that had laid in the wild. Is it true I dunno but since cham's respond to colors it would not surprise me.

That looks like the perfect place to lay some eggs! I hope she lays soon for you!!! It's so nerve wrecking when they are laying!!

Well I peeked again and can't see her at all... either she's on the cage floor or she's digging in the bin! I am keeping my fingers crossed... this is so nerve wracking!! How soon should we check on her? Should we leave her alone for the night???

I would not go near her until you see her come out of the laying bin. Either way, if she is laying in the bin or on the floor, I would let her lay where ever she wants. Moving her around could cause her not to lay at all. If she is egg bound you are in big trouble. jmo

Back
Top Bottom