Update on coccidia

chamlover

Just to let everyone know that i really appreciated all the advice. It is really appreciated and needed because i had to call my vet today and tell him what to give my cham. He asked my advice, go figure. Maybe he should be paying me!! Or at least a discount don't ya think. He is a really a great guy but not too familiar with reptiles which is surprising because he is actually on the list for reptile vets. But he is willing to learn with me which is ok i suppose as long as i don't have a big problem. I also have decided to have my beardies treated as well that way, like someone said i don't have to worry about cross-contamination. I always sanitize my hands between animals and have all bowls, plates, even cricket container named so that way they all have their own stuff. But i don't think i want to take the chance. I told him I didn't want to go with the Albon because of the side effects and instead will be using Sulfamethoxazole. Hopefully everthing will work out. Someone had mentioned about washing the entire cage daily and i was wondering why and if i should be doing that.

Debby

Coccidia is very contagious that is why you should clean the cage every day. The cleaner it is the less likely it will spread to other chameleons and the less chance there is of reoccurrence. Be extremely careful with coccidia, it takes a good month or so to get over and you need to do periodic fecals afterwards to make sure it is completely gone.

-chris

so far, a steam cleaner worked great for me, Debby.
blast that evil protozoa with a hot steam. The steam cleaner is handy so that you don't have to tear apart the cage and change his territory's look daily.

Back
Top Bottom