Update on Bert

AJA

Established Member
Well, I thought I would update everyone on Bert after her tail amputation. She is doing really well and adjusting to handicap life. :)

What Bert has been dealing with as of late and she has had them since I have had her are there barnacle like lesions on her bottom. We never found out what fungi mungi was eating her tail but I noticed that he had encroached on the section of tail that didn't have it and was waiting for the worse to happen.

What I believe and I have no proof at all about this, but I believe that on one of the very rare sunny days we have during the winter, I put Bert out to catch some rays. Shortly after this, her scabs started to losen and come off. I am now giving Bert Rept-Aid and apply Silver stuff on the raw skin. She is VERY grumpy as of late and I am guessing this scabs coming off, hurt, since her skin is raw and red.

I have taken several photos to show every one of her latest health battle. She still has a bone crushing grip and eats well.

Here is Berti, aka Lizard Lips in all of her grumpy glory, making a bee line to escape.

Bert aka LzrdLps.jpg

Here you can see the scab starting to come off.

Hindleft.jpg

New scab, see the rawness of it? Poor girl.

closeupfreshscab.jpg

freshscab.jpg

This scab is on her other hind foot and hasn't popped yet
hindright.jpg

The following photos are from her tail. There was no growth after her amputation and this is one of the reasons we amputated at this point to stop whatever it was that was killing her tail.

tailscab.jpg

tailscab1.jpg

tailscab2.jpg

tailscab3.jpg

scabfrmtailunderneath.jpg

These are the scabs that came off the tail.

scabfrmtailtop.jpg

scabfrmtail.jpg

So I am thinking that perhaps the sun had something to do with the stopping of this infection. For those of you who feel you are getting a great deal on purchasing a Wild Caught animal, think again. I think I bought Bert for $80 back in Oct and she has cost me three times that amount in medical bills.

Wow Amy it looks like both you and Bert have been put through the wringer. What a horrible think for her to endure. I am happy to hear things are looking better.:):)

Amy: I had no idea about Bert's tail! I'm so sorry for the poor girl! .... :( Well, I hope for both of your sake, she will continue to get better.

(...but remember, she was actually "CB" when you got her......I was there and distinctively remember the source indicating they were all CB. :mad:)

Poor Bert, I'm sorry for her and you. I guess whether WC or CB, Melleri do have their unique issues to deal with. That's why it takes a special person to care for them like you.

Wow... That sucks, do you know what was the cause??? Hope she will recuperate 100%

Thanks for the replies. Oh that's right she is CB because that is what the show only promoted...:rolleyes: NOT! We won't mention her dehydration and horrid scale condition at the time of purchase either..... :mad:

I am guessing it is something she picked up in quarantine :mad: I have been unemployed for some time and haven't had the extra funds to do a biopsy. I am thinking it is bacterial in nature and not viral and that is why the sun may have affected it.

Like I said, she has a killer grip so I think she is fine overall. I am giving her the Rept Aid to help boost the immune system and give her a little lift. What is also interesting as of late and I haven't done a lot of research in that and maybe Chris A can chime in, but I think her tongue has shortened! :eek:

I noticed this the other day where she missed twice on a roach on my hand and I didn't really have it out there that far. Is is possible that a tongue muscle can contract if it isn't used to its full potential? :confused:

What a battle.........

Wow.....that is quite a battle you and Bert have had going on there......Where any cultures done on the tail?

One of my WC Melleri, Knopfler (named after Dire Straits Mark Knopfler) had an infection on the last inch of his tail. It has long since healed and he didn't lose any. Every other day I swabbed the area with Betadine (cheap and over the counter) and then put on the antibiotic ointment. With every shed the scarred area is less and less noticeable. I know it's there but other people would probably not see it.

Betadine is one of those things I always keep on hand. It kills any fungus or bacteria it comes into contact with. It may not kill stuff deep in the tissues but it can really make a dent in the top layer. I personally would swab it on the raw areas and the areas where the scabs just fell off to disinfect them and then put the topical cream on.

I agree real sun can speed up healing. At a minimum I bet it boosts the metabolism. Even an overcast day like to day is a good day to take a Melleri out. The cooler day like today is perfectly fine for that species. Seeing your post makes me want to take mine outside too :) Keep us posted......Bert has a great Mommy!

I am sorry to hear that you and Bert have had to go through all this. I will keep my fingers crossed for a full recovery for her.

Back
Top Bottom