Types of Feeders?

BunnyGirl

Hello,
Its Been a while since I posted, but I am getting another cham soon! He is about 1 yeard old. I was wondering, My family hates crickets and I hate hearing about how gross and disgutsting they are all the time when I am keeping them (I also personally don't like them that much) Does anyone keep their chams on just worms (obviously differant kinds) I would like to do a mixture of Hornworms, Butterworms, Pheniox worms, and Silkworms. Are those okay staples? I would keep some crickets to help him adjust at first and I could get like 25 every couple of weeks and split them between him and my skink.
THANKS!

I would like to do a mixture of Hornworms, Butterworms, Pheniox worms, and Silkworms. Are those okay staples? I would keep some crickets to help him adjust at first and I could get like 25 every couple of weeks and split them between him and my skink.
THANKS!

Although all larva isnt a very natural diet, I think you'll be okay with using lots of worms. Especially the silkworms and butterworms. However You'll need to occassionally add in something with chinton, something "crunchy" such as a superworm, mealworm, cricket, terrestrial isopod or roach. I suggest you continue to offer crickets or something else crunchy weekly.

if you are open to having blaptica dubia, those might be the best alternative than crickets.
Sandra is correct. Your chameleon do need a bit of roughage in his diet. Diet consisted of ONLY soft bodied worm might not be too good for him.

I also have to agree that Dubia > Crickets. Especially if you can hand feed them from tongs or a feeder dish, they never get loose.

I usually have at least 2-3 feeders at a time and alternate depending on what I am buying for the coming weeks.

Thanks for the advise. I keep mealworms for my Leopard Gecko, and I can purchase crickets weekly or biweekly. I just don't want to keep them all the time. I coulr get roaches I am fine woth them, but agian my family hates them (I think more thank the crickets) I do know a reptile store owner personally, and I know he keeps roaches consistently so I could get them form him form time to time. So just so I understand. I can do a mostly worm diet, If I added mealworms in 3x a week and crickets or roaches 2x every other week is that okay?

I don't like the crickets either, too jumpy and can escape. Tiki Tiki (sponsor) sells a dubia roach starter colony. I'm planning to give it a try. I think they will be easier to manage/control, and maybe less stinky (I hope).

Crickets and roaches are better feeder options (more nutritious, easier to gutload) than mealworms. If you do crickets, roaches OR mealworms 2 or 3 times a week, alongside the silkworms etc, that should be sufficient.

haha Roaches it is then. I have too many animals and too many heat lamps in my room to keep crickets and be able to sleep in my room without gagging. I'll look into that started kit Thanks!

And it's my understanding that Dubia's can NOT climb up the walls of the container like most other common roaches (correct me if I'm wrong)...which I think is great!

And it's my understanding that Dubia's can NOT climb up the walls of the container like most other common roaches (correct me if I'm wrong)...which I think is great!

as long as the container is slick and non porous; then, dubia won't be able to climb it.
The males however occasionally fly. So, i put a lid on the enclosure to prevent them from escaping.

Climbing or non?

You want smooth not matte finish plastic, smooth like glass. However if you mist with hard water, over time the mineral deposits can allow them to climb as can the bin when it gets very dusty or dirty on the sides. We do not use or recommend butterworms as they are irradiated.

Digby Rigby [email protected]

We do not use or recommend butterworms as they are irradiated.

Why not? Irradiation doesnt effect their nutritional value, just ensures they dont breed. A lot of the fruit we get here imported from Mexico and south america is irradiated to kill off bugs. It doesnt hurt anything. The effect is temporary.

I use Turkish roaches and Dubia. They dont climb. But the males have wings so its possible (though still unlikely) for them to escape if you dont use a lid.

Back
Top Bottom