Trooper Twister's illness and recovery.

HolyToledo

I was almost 8 months old when I got sick. Here is a photo mom took when I was doing my best to act like nothing was wrong. I thought I did a pretty good job of hiding that I have a broken front right leg.

Mom took me to the vet but they didn't do x-rays cuz I'd just had some done at 6 months and the bones looked great. And I even faked the vet out by using my legs fine and having a good strong grip!

full

A couple of days later, and I gave up hiding it. Boy did things get bad quickly! Back to the vet and they wrapped me up so I couldn't use my leg.
I spent almost two weeks in the hospital bin before I was strong enough to escape. Then things were okay for about a week.

Then, I got my big head stuck in a weird spot and when I was trying to get out of that predicament, I broke my other front leg! Back to the hospital bin and you can see my broken front left leg in this picture.

full

After many vet visits and help from the people on here on the forum and time to get better, I'm looking much better and learning to use everything again and getting around almost as well as before.

Here is what my first break on the front right looks like now, all healed up. I look like I've been to the gym and got good biceps is all.

full

The front left didn't heal as well cuz I fought getting wrapped again. So my bicep looks even stronger but I still have some trouble figuring out where this leg is going when I'm moving around.

full

I never did get another x-ray of either of my back legs cuz the vet was too worried about me to mess with me. I showed him! Every time he would even touch me I wouldn't eat for 3 or 4 days! Let alone if he took me for tests. So, I didn't have to get anymore done cuz he thought it might kill me.

I have a bend in my upper right back leg that you can barely see.

full

And my back left leg is a bit bulky. Elizadolots says it looks like I have army boots on.

full

My attitude is worse than it used to be cuz I still don't feel good some days. But, I am a survivor! And, I am looking pretty good most of the time too!

full

And, I am celebrating my first hatchday today! And I'm glad I'm here!

Just call me "Trooper" Twister from now on. I think I earned the name, don't you?:p

Last edited by a moderator:
That poor cham has been through all that in just a year? Trooper doesn't come close. What a wonderful caring keeper you are. Hope he continues to do well.

That poor cham has been through all that in just a year? Trooper doesn't come close. What a wonderful caring keeper you are. Hope he continues to do well.
Oh, Laurie, this is the short and simple version of some of what we have been through on this journey...

Thank you for saying that but, I was lost without this forum and some special attention by some of the wonderful members...

Heartbroken!!!

Here we go again?

He was acting weird and when I offered him a hand up, he screamed and tried to bite me! (All we've been through and he's never done that before!)

He isn't using his back legs at all.

Vet appointment tomorrow...

OH no!! That isn't at all fair.:(You and that guy have survived way more than most could already. My thoughts and prayers go with you both.

A bit better this eve but will update after vet tomorrow

Still not moving well. Less defensive/aggressive. Drank lots of water and even ate two waxies on his own. So, maybe it's not as bad as I thought but am still heartbroken that he is in trouble again...

Poor little guy:(

Both of you hang in there, you have been through a lot together. Please keep us posted. We are all pulling for your Trooper!

Broken back

full

Just got home from the vet's and I am broken again!
Now I have a compression fracture of two vertebra in my lower back. Now I'm stuck back in the hospital bin again.

Poor Mister. Wonder why his bones keep breaking? How old is you UV bulb and how are you dusting? Do you think he fell?

@Chameleonmaster: yeah, he is a bit clutzy but x-rays yesterday showed that there has been at least one break in each leg due to his weird MBD issues. So, I can forgive him for being clumsy some days. lol

@K-9Luvin: you might get a kick out of what may be down the road for Twister so I pm'd you. Feel free to input any ideas...

@JannB: Proper dusting if not too much and he is due for a new 5.0 but I change them out every three mos. cuz of his special needs. His 10.0 I only change out every 6 months though.

I look waaay better now than the last picture she took!

I am not supposed to be climbing around so mom built me a platform in my window and it is so much better than that hospital bin!

Then just because the sun was finally shining, she misted me and its not like I can just run away like I used to! So not fair!

full

What a great job you are doing with your boy. I know it is hard for both you and twister, but the rewards are worth it. I love the sitting in the window picture, seems like a safe and happy place for him.

The battle is over for Trooper.

It was a battle for the record books.

full

You will be missed little man!

Back
Top Bottom