Trioceros taxonomiy/phylogenetics

Zach Valois

First and foremost,

can anyone recommend a source for [the most accurate as possible] species identification of this genus? I see people confidently labeling animals such as T. hoehnelii, T. jacksoni, T. j. xan... etc.. and cannot find much dissucussion on what diagnostic characters are being used. Another example is the two sub species of quadricornus.

Granted, I assume this groups phylogeny and taxonomic status remain with much work to be done... to say the least, but I would like to know how identifications are being made, aside from looking at basic stock posted photos of John Doe's chameleon with a species ID attached. I assume biogeography may play a part (as it sometimes is one of the few seperating 'characters' we find in cryptic tarantula species), and most of what we are dealing with are of course imports, so we cannot use such data to attempt to delineate minute species boundaries.

Input would be greatly appreciate, as would any pdf's or citations of any good peer reviewed montane chameleon papers.

Thanks guys!

I would like to reiterate that I would like to see both personal input and published keys/descriptions. As if one were curating a wet collection, pinning accurate (or the best possible) ID's with academic standards..

. . . if that makes sense!

I would consult a new book the "Chameleons of Africa, An Atlas" by Colin Tilbury. It is a good updated book with good Taxonomic descriptions. There are a couple knowledgeable members here on the forums that you could send a PM to and consult as well.

Last edited:
First and foremost,

can anyone recommend a source for [the most accurate as possible] species identification of this genus? I see people confidently labeling animals such as T. hoehnelii, T. jacksoni, T. j. xan... etc.. and cannot find much dissucussion on what diagnostic characters are being used. Another example is the two sub species of quadricornus.

Granted, I assume this groups phylogeny and taxonomic status remain with much work to be done... to say the least, but I would like to know how identifications are being made, aside from looking at basic stock posted photos of John Doe's chameleon with a species ID attached. I assume biogeography may play a part (as it sometimes is one of the few seperating 'characters' we find in cryptic tarantula species), and most of what we are dealing with are of course imports, so we cannot use such data to attempt to delineate minute species boundaries.

Input would be greatly appreciate, as would any pdf's or citations of any good peer reviewed montane chameleon papers.

Thanks guys!

You mean three sub species of T.quadricornis. Check out the Trioceros sub forums for more information in particular on my thread Distinction for Quadricornis subspecies.

Here's a link.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/distinction-between-trioceros-quadricornis-subspecies-52979/

Great starting point for me guys! I will certainly look for a copy of that book and review all the links provided thus far!!

Thank you muchly!

Back
Top Bottom