Too popular

bradleymarky

first of all i dont want to slag anybody off ....but

ive read a lot of posts by new owners lately who havent got a clue what to do with their chams, they seem to buy them and take it from there (not just on this forum)

i am a relativley new owner but i did a lot of research first and was very nervous and excited when my first cham arrived at my door, i`m sure i asked a lot of dumb questions but some of the posts by new owners are frightening

sorry for the rant but i love my chams and i cringe when i read some of the posts by new owners.

I completely agree. Except I want to do a little more than cringe! :D

Edit - My all time favorite face-palm thread... "I just got a male and female, I've never had chameleons before but I want to breed... tell me everything I need/need to know."

Last edited:
I agree with what you're saying, but it's not limited to chameleons. Because my life is devoted to all things dog, I often get: "I just got a dog, where should I take it to the vet, what should I feed it, where do I train it, how do I train it? ..." . I don't get it. Why don't people do the research on ANYTHING they are getting before they get it?!?! It also annoys me that these dog/cat/chamleon/whatever people then get upset or are unhappy because they don't like the options we (the knowledgeable) present to them. "Well that's too hard, it's too far, I don't like that, I'm gonna do this". Aaaargh! I just had this happen with a acquaintance who got a dog. He's educated, not stupid. How about doing a search BEFORE bringing that new thing home. Google it for heaven's sake!!! Why do we always have to pick up the pieces? I researched chameleons for a year before even deciding to get one, and I still don't know much.

Whew. OK, I think I'm good now.

I suppose these folks are no worse or better than the pet shop owner/manager who sees chameleons listed on a dealer's availability list and decides to buy some to sell. And, has absolutely no idea how to house or care for them until some poor newbie takes it away to die.

However, consider that the folks we hear about on the forum are the better ones...they ARE Googling even if it is a bit late in the decision process! Sure they are asking what we consider "dumb" questions, but at least they care enough to ask. The ones that upset me more are the ones who are arrogant or clueless enough not to ask about.

Chams are not the only creatures who are taken home with no preparation. Those parking lot puppies, stray cats, $9.00 budgies, grocery store houseplants, too many living things get picked up on a whim. So many humans don't value any lives other than their own very highly.

I have to admit that my first cham wasn't planned. I went to a new pet shop to pick up bird seed and there was a 4 month old veiled in a small screen cage. I'd heard about wc chams off and on over the years but like everyone else in the 1980s assumed they just didn't survive. But, here was a busy, active, beautiful, and captive bred chameleon! I was stunned and began gabbling at the shop owner. He answered most of my immediate questions and showed me the still-new Vosjoli book next to the cham. I put down a deposit on the cham, took the book home, joined the tiny CIN, read everything I could find about chameleons (which took about an hour...remember, there was no WWW back then), modified a wire birdcage, got the required lights, dripper, insects, etc. and brought a new little monster home a few days later. Luckily, selling one was not taken lightly by this shop who knew the breeder. They did give me good advice about the essentials, but I would have done the research anyway. Gimli grew like a weed and became a huge pretty docile guy over the next year.

first of all i dont want to slag anybody off ....but

ive read a lot of posts by new owners lately who havent got a clue what to do with their chams, they seem to buy them and take it from there (not just on this forum).

Welcome to the world of exotic pets and the impulse buy. I don't know where it started that people think the most unusual animals need less care than even a dog. Then again it would shock you to learn how poorly thousands and thousands of people treat their dogs. It's a lack of education on every front, and petstores are like drug pushers sometimes - as long as they get the money it doesn't matter what the consequences are to anyone or anything else. Education is the key! Even if you'd like to strangle them, at least if you can teach them something you have the chance to prevent the death of another 'disposable pet'!

Agreed!

I agree, I did TONS of research prior to getting my Cham... I spent endless hours on line, read atleast 5 books front to back, and searched and read the Forums... and most importantly spoke with an extremely reputable breeder and follwed there instruction to the "T" ... so by the time my first guy arrived at my door I had everything down to the point that I did not need to make any adjustments to my husbandry as I knew up front what was instore and how things should be to ensure proper health and care... It paid off greatly both of my boys are doing very well and seem quite happy.

My local Vet happends to be specialize in Reptiles... and I talk to him about my guys but I told him "I hope I never have to see you" lol.... he assured my that if you can get your husbandry right it's half the battle! Of course as with any living thing things can come up that are beyod control. But it is our responsibilities as owners or should I say potential owners out to respect to the animal what ever it may be to research and learn FIRST. You can alwasy tweek along the way but for God's Sake if you love animals as many claim to do look into it properly first. Unfortunatley many people thing talking to a "Petstore" is sufficient...

But I just want to add thank goodness for this Forum and others like it, for those who are willing to learn and make corrections I am certain it has saved many little lives! There are lots of members here with great things to pass along! :p

Dont be too hard on the newbees....Everyone comes into this hobby in different ways and I applaud them for making the effort to find the forum and doing their best to educate themselves on giving their cham the best they can.....true their are some 'eyebrow raising' questions made but when I remember back at my first youngster he had some strange behavior that made me want to ask 10 really stupid questions a day on now what seems normal (well what we see as normal behavior) in our chams.

I got my first cham by making off the cuff comment that it would be great to have a chameleon after watching a tv documentry and my better half remembered that comment and surprised me with my first juvi panther as a gift two months later.....and I made every mistake in the book until I had educated myself.

I learnt by the seat of my pants and am glad for it. I would have never gotten into this great hobby and the rewards of it if he didn't take that step of getting me a cham.

I think the point to remember is the keepers attitude towards keeping a cham after asking for advice and receiving it. There are many experienced keepers here that have helped me when I have been or thought have been in trouble and I have taken their advice gratefully and acted upon it when needed. I had 3 rescue Panthers that needed help and I got it from this forum.

I am sure without their help that I would not have made it this far....and I am happy to say that my first cham is still healthy, robust and still looking behind the indoor plants when he free ranges for a girl cham:)

Yes, many people impluse buy (I have a new pair of high heel red shoes that were a recent mistake).
And yes its worse when someone impulsively buys an animal they then cant care for, or are too arrogant to care for.
I try to remain hopeful that many others do care, and do try - and better late than never, right?

I think people should have to pass a care/housing test before they can buy an animal. There are so many neglected and abused animals out there. its sad.

Reality check: I mentioned at a Reptile show that I would love to have a chameleon. 2 years later, on my birthday, my husband said "Let's go out and get you that chameleon"....

I hadn't researched because I thought it was an impossible dream. I didn't decline the offer because you don't discourage your husband from an expensive impulse buy on your birthday.

Sometimes, the chameleon comes to you when you aren't expecting it.

I agree, i have had my cham for two months now he is now into his third month as a juv.

I did loads of research and tried everything i could to make sure he has everything he needs to be happy.

Every pet shop should have a husbandry pin up.

on Saturday i almost flipped when i sow 2 to 3 week old veileds in a reptile section at a pet shop with the most disgusting dirty over humid oak and glass cage. they looked a lil burnt and stressed. The owner was not there :/

Back
Top Bottom