too much d3?

Ekproject

so i got a young nosy be male. and who i got him from was dusting with d3 and calcium every meal..can that cause him tongue issues? he cannot shoot his tongue. everything else seems absolutely fine. he has learned to hunt without using his tongue..but if i just continue to use regular calcium without d3 can that bring his tongue mobility back?

so i got a young nosy be male. and who i got him from was dusting with d3 and calcium every meal..can that cause him tongue issues? he cannot shoot his tongue. everything else seems absolutely fine. he has learned to hunt without using his tongue..but if i just continue to use regular calcium without d3 can that bring his tongue mobility back?

hard to say. I am in the same boat with you in that my nosy be isn't using his tongue either. Where did you get him from? What supplier did he come from? If he is under 5 months old the issue is not likely due to improper vitamin but a genetic or birth issue. Calcium and supplement issues usually come up later in life.

Will he gain the use back? My guess is as good as anyone's, but I would think no.

Most people on the forums will tell you calcium without d3 every other feeding and with d3 two to three times a month. Everyone has their own tweaking of their supplement schedule, but this is about the average.

Do either of your chameleons show any (other) signs of calcium issues?

Moviemanmania said..."Calcium and supplement issues usually come up later in life"...in my experience calcium issues often show up around the three month mark in panthers and veileds (and other species too).

Regarding MBD...the levels need to be brought into balance and at the same time, husbandry issues need to be addressed. The quickest way to bring things back into balance is to give the chameleon injections of calcium until the blood calcium levels are high enough that a shot of calcitonin can be given to rapidly draw the calcium back into the chameleon. Not only does MBD affect the bones, other systems in the chameleon are compromised too...so its important to get things fixed asap, IMHO.

Here's a really good thread that you might like to read...
"If D3 becomes too high it 1) messes up PTH regulation and 2) will cause hypercalcemia"...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/supplementation-mbd-1-a-2451/

Another good site.....
http://web.archive.org/web/20060502...rnals.com/vet/index.php?show=5.Vitamin.A.html

please post pics of the animals. i had personal experience with this in a 1 1/2 yr old rescued veiled. in my case it was definitely mbd. it has been corrected and has taken around 3 months to regain use of the tongue. lack of calcium and proper lighting im sure was the cause. i personally use powersun bulbs on my veileds and used liquid calcium along with a proper dusting schedule as a resolution. only other thing i can think of is a possible tongue injury. i watched my jacksons tongue hit a hornworms. the horn worm had such a great grip he couldnt pull it from the screen. his tongue soon released and retracted very slowly. the whole time he was biting his tongue as it was coming back in!! I WAS FLIPPING OUT SAYING NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!! well i cant lie...i was yelling NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! anyways it did take a week or so for him to eat again.

follow kinyongas links and advice.

Yes it seems that over supplementing can certainly cause several problems. There is a general consensus that most on here use for their supplement schedule but some do it different, even some breeders do it differently. Prior to me getting my cham at 4 months of age his supplement schedule was different... he was getting Cal w/ D3 twice a week, heptivite twice a week & sticky tongue Cal supp 2 weekly. After reading up on the forum's supplement consensus & in hopes of resolving eye issues I pretty much immediately changed it to once a week or ever other week w/ the D3 as well as the heptivite & started using the sticky tongue Cal supp 4x week. So after 3 months, of given him less D3, less heptivite & increasing the sticky tongue Cal supp he suddenly stopped shooting out his tongue (When I think back maybe this happened because of the increased sticky tongue Cal supp, maybe also too much dusting of it as well). So supplements seem to be a tricky thing & really not to be over done. Now after going to the vet & Diego being on an oral Calcium (his calcuim level was low) as well as Antibiotic shots for two weeks he shot his tongue out about 1 1/2 inches :D... big improvement! I've now nix the sticky tongue Cal supp & replaced it with repcal Calium w/o D3 daily or maybe ever other day as he gets a bit older (BTW nix sticky tongue basically cause my vet said he was more familiar w/ the repcal calcium w/o D3 product). I will be giving the D3 as well as Heptivite once weekly (Vet and I came up w/ it as a mid point from what his breeder was giving & what I had been giving him. Good luck with your little one & it wouldn't hurt get him checked out by a vet. Be sure to post back & let us know how he's doing!

Back
Top Bottom