Tongue Trauma

JoeG

I got home last night & found my female JJ with her tongue hanging out of her mouth, too swollen to retract it. I kept it moist & without improvement made the vet appointment. They proceeded to sedate her to try & put her tongue back but she looks really out of it. She is resting now & I am hoping this was a correct way of treating her. They gave me injectable antibiotics for any infection she might have. I am concerned about the amount of sedative she has been given & hoping that she comes out of it. Has anyone else had to have their cham sedated for treatment because this is a first for me & I am second guessing my decision to even bring her to the vet.

You could compare it to the information presented here:https://www.chameleonforums.com/veterinary-management-chameleons-78544/

Im not sure how helpful it would be though, as I am unsure if there are other methods that are sound.

Was the tongue kept moist while it was out?EDIT: Sorry, I read to fast ;/

That's a great read, thanks, but as far as tongue issues go,it talks about the supplementation issues. This happened all of a sudden while I wasn't around to even see what happened. Hit her tongue,missed her prey,maybe hit or got stuck on something. I don't know but it never happened before & didn't look good. Thank you for that article, lots of good info in there.

Well I meant in respect to the anesthesia :eek:

Glad you found it informative though:p

Had you been to this particular vet before?

Im not sure if helping the tongue back into position was a good idea, I really have no basis to have much of an opinion on that though:eek:

How is she now?

Well I meant in respect to the anesthesia :eek:

Glad you found it informative though:p

Had you been to this particular vet before?

Im not sure if helping the tongue back into position was a good idea, I really have no basis to have much of an opinion on that though:eek:

How is she now?

First time at this vet because my other vet was not in today & I didn't think it was a good idea to wait another day. They were recommended. I'll know more about how she is in the morning. Thanks for asking

Back
Top Bottom