Tongue Attack 2

quikksilver8

Hey guys I was reading the post about the chameleon who shoots his tongue out at people and it was funny because just yesterday I was hand feeding my two chameleons (holding both in one hand) and all of a sudden my male veiled turned towards the female and hit her in the face with his tonge. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen them do. Do chams normally use their tongue to hit things. Thought I'd share, havent been lucky enough to get hit by it myself though :)

I have heard of this behavior quite abit. I have two chameleons that have tried to do this to me. I would take caution when handling chameleons you have seen do this. They can injure their tongues attempting this move on large objects or even if they say missed a food item. Their tongues are so sticky.

My male missed a cricket one day. His tongue became stuck to the branch. He had to advance several steps to scrap his tongue off the branch with his bottom jaw. He continued to eat over the next couple of days but his tongue was noticabley weaker. Almost limp looking on some of the shoots I saw him take. He probably just pulled his tongue in this situation. It could end up being worse as it would be quite easy for them to tear their tongue and that could end up meaning amputation.

While injury could be a possability it does not mean that it will occur should you take a hit from one of your chameleons. Just becareful.

Hahaha... that's weird... seems to be a new trend?

Yea I'm always careful when mine takes a shot at me too, I don't want to sprain that tongue!

I have heard of this behavior quite abit. I have two chameleons that have tried to do this to me. I would take caution when handling chameleons you have seen do this. They can injure their tongues attempting this move on large objects or even if they say missed a food item. Their tongues are so sticky.

My male missed a cricket one day. His tongue became stuck to the branch. He had to advance several steps to scrap his tongue off the branch with his bottom jaw. He continued to eat over the next couple of days but his tongue was noticabley weaker. Almost limp looking on some of the shoots I saw him take. He probably just pulled his tongue in this situation. It could end up being worse as it would be quite easy for them to tear their tongue and that could end up meaning amputation.

While injury could be a possability it does not mean that it will occur should you take a hit from one of your chameleons. Just becareful.

I have had an Ambilobe panther RIP his tongue out because of it getting stuck to a large object! THIS WAS ONE OF THE WORST EXPEIRIENCES EVER!

my old male veild did this to me quite often , and when i always put my face up to the screen he would shot at my nose , i thought it was funny i just laughed at him , he actually did this when he was excited , like taking the female outa his cage or throughing a hand full of cricks with some silkies in there he would just go nuts i dunno if it was too much feeders it tripped him out , but hes gone now but never forgetten he was my first cham . R.I.P Fat Body Inc.

Back
Top Bottom