toads as feeders??

No, Chameleons eat insects and are not, for the most part, carnivorous. Also the toad could be caring parasites and some toads even have poisonous skin!

O you beat me "ferretinmyshoes" this is what i get for starting to post and then having to take care of something in the middle of it! lol

Avoid toads! Some animals eat toads but I sort of doubt most chams do. Toads are generally terrestrial and chams are generally arboreal so they probably wouldnt cross paths. Also toads especially bufos are posionous. If the toads are Bufo marinus, it would sure kill your chameleon. No toad snacks!!!

Thats horrible! :eek: lol I wont even let my BF run over the toads with the lawn mower!! I follow him around and rescue them as he goes! Toads are friends NOT food!! :)

toads also have very sticky outsides that they release for defense... which can cause digestion problems. and even cause the poor chams tummy to implode

Thats horrible! :eek: lol I wont even let my BF run over the toads with the lawn mower!! I follow him around and rescue them as he goes! Toads are friends NOT food!! :)

I agree!! Toads are awesome!! I hate when you are driving down the road when it is warm and raining out and all the toads are hopping in the road. You just cant avoid them unless you want to wreck and you can see all the smashed ones for days:(:(

going back to carnivores and insectivors......i see a lot of people feeding their adult chameleons small mice....which means they could be carnivirous...dont you think....

well this isnt as a staple diet... and they arent mice they are pinkies. small difference, it's sort of like a fetus really. smaller than a coin'
and it's for their nutritional value

But but, they are SO cute! I found a toad a few days ago and I wanted to keep him. He peed on my hand to remind me of how cute and fat he was. :D

As feeders, I wouldn't. As many have stated already... Pinkies, i'd steer clear from those too. Just me but there are plenty of insects to feed that carry all of the nutrition our chams need. :D

going back to carnivores and insectivors......i see a lot of people feeding their adult chameleons small mice....which means they could be carnivirous...dont you think....

Just because a cham will eat something doesnt make that item a godd choice nutritionally speaking. Pinkies have been known to cause gout. They are high in protein and low in calcium.

Chams eat insects and a few chams will nibble on plant matter thats it. Feed your pinky mice to your snake not your chameleon.

Carnivorous...insectivorous...depends on what you consider "meat". To me the most important thing is, a cham is a predator that eats other animals, not vegetation (with a few exceptions). It's system is adapted to be fueled by animal matter primarily, not plant matter. And, insects are animal matter.

Back
Top Bottom