Tips cleaning wood bottom of enclosures? And plants?

Dave

Avid Member
Alright, I'm done with this smell, it's startin to get where I can smell the cage 10-15 feet across the room. I need some tips with cleaning it though, as I have a wood bottom for Liz's enclosure. Also, wouldn't you know it, I live in an apartment complex with no outdoor hose. So that just adds another obstacle. Anyone got any ideas? What should I go out and get, chemicals, brushes, whatnot? Any advice would be tremendously helpful with getting my woman off my back about the smell lol

-Dave

strip cage(after removing chamy), vacuum thouroghly. then i use a steamer for my wrinkled cloths, or u can use an iron if you carefull. but steam all the objects in the cage then steam the cage itself( i hope ur wood is pressuretreated) . that should get rid of everything and is safest IMO. if no steamer then vacuum and use cage and reptarium cleaner they sell at the pet stores. but make sure whatever u use it wont leave residue or fumes.

If your wood is not good and treated, you will start to get nasty black mold. You might want to consider some kind of plastic tray to replace the bottom with! I have 7 cages in my dining room that never, ever smell, but if I let the bird cage go more than a week-ewwwww stinky! Did you also check any potted plants for root rot? That is a nasty putrid smell!

Thanks for the replies both of you. Where would I get a steamer with enough power to steam a cage??? And my wood isn't pressuretreated, but I sealed it good with a waterbased water sealer. Now would a reptarium cleaner work on wood??

And as for root rot, I noticed on the bridal veil that some white moldy substance is starting to form in the soil. Is this root rot?

i have an upright steamer used for cloths, like $50 at walmart. gives off bout 2" of steam outa the spout. i dont know if the cleaner would work on wood.

Back
Top Bottom