Thorny Devil/Molochs for Sale?

ChameleonAlley

Does anyone know where you can buy these, if you can buy these? I'm honestly very new to learning about them so just curious if anyone has any experience with them?

Thornydevil.jpg

They are sweet, fascinating little creatures. I remember being able to find them quite often as a kid when on holidays when visiting family around Australia....their gait and movement is similar to a cham and I think they are just as interesting as any gecko. I would love to get one if I could....just not sure if I could handle their eating habits of ants as I spend a lot of time trying to get rid of them :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was reading that they eat a ton of ants. I can't really find much information about them. They are breathtakingly amazing looking. It seems that they were banned from export in the 70's?? If they're anything like the American Horned Lizard, the numbers have dwindled in past years. I used to be able to find them in droves here, and now it is extremely rare to come across them.

I looked these up about 6 months ago and apparently they eat around 500 of a specific species of ant per day in their natural habitat. Apparently they don't do well in captivity and they are only obtained by permit.

Oh wow, that's really crazy. I was hoping that they could possibly feed off of something more similar to the chams, crickets or Dubia. If that's the case, then I'll just have to admire their pictures. Thanks for the info man!

I really really really wanted one of these when I lived in my old apartment. There was ivy that grew on the side of the building and my apartment was infested with little ants.

Thats a very cool very rare lizard. Im not sure if there are any in captivity anywhere in the world. Austrailia hasnt exported wildlife since the early 1970s so no one should have any.

There have been few in captivity. They can switch over to crickets. Though its not easy. These guys are best left in the wild. but im sure a few get smuggled yearly.

Thats a very cool very rare lizard. Im not sure if there are any in captivity anywhere in the world. Austrailia hasnt exported wildlife since the early 1970s so no one should have any.

I haven't heard anything about them in captivity. But other Australian herps like geckos or montiors are quite easy to find here. So maybe some very rich guys owe them, who knows :confused:

They only eat, I think it was five certain types of ants. I have a few photos of some wild ones we found while travelling in Oz. We also visited this park where they said they underbelly has a unique pattern like a fingerprint.

http://www.reptilecentre.com.au/

well i know that LLL sells ants as feeders so maybe it is possible :confused:

never buy ants off of LLL, way over priced compared to other sellers.

I have horned lizards (a specices that only eats ants as well) and they are actually very easy to care for even though they eat tons of ants. If you look up "horned lizard food" in google, it will come up with a good site where you can get 500 ants for 10 dollars (much better then LLL) You cannot feed them dubias or crickets bigger then pin heads becasue there jaws are not very strong and larger crickets or dubias would be very hard to eat.
Mine will eat small cricets regulary along with ants as there staple.
The real problem is finding one... hope this helped

never buy ants off of LLL, way over priced compared to other sellers.

I have horned lizards (a specices that only eats ants as well) and they are actually very easy to care for even though they eat tons of ants. If you look up "horned lizard food" in google, it will come up with a good site where you can get 500 ants for 10 dollars (much better then LLL) You cannot feed them dubias or crickets bigger then pin heads becasue there jaws are not very strong and larger crickets or dubias would be very hard to eat.
Mine will eat small cricets regulary along with ants as there staple.
The real problem is finding one... hope this helped

oh my bad haha, ive always wanted to get a horned lizard though :eek: what kind do you have?

oh my bad haha, ive always wanted to get a horned lizard though :eek: what kind do you have?

Haha. Don't worry about it, I doubt anybody would actually know unless they buy the ants.
I have 2 desert horned lizards (Phrynosoma platyrhinos)
They are actually really good pets, people say they are extremely hard to keep yet they arnt actually very hard to keep.

Back
Top Bottom