Third Eye??

mikericco

chameleons have a third eye called the parietal eye. This is located on the very top of the head and looks like a very tiny milky scale. This is a fully functioning eye, however it is only able to detect light and dark such as shadows going overhead. This is part of their advanced warning system that allows them to see birds of prey flying over head. They act accordingly by darting into the foliage out of sight and relative safety.

is this true?

Most reptiles have them. They're much easier to see on smaller species such as anoles though.

my beardie has it and its very visable.

The purpose of the eye is to find the uvb rays. The thrid eye can tell the uvb output in which helps them tofind the best basking spoy with the brightist light.

Its almost universal with all lizards.

Wow! I never noticed this until I read this thread. Holy Cow!!! I totally saw Licky's. It's very interesting.

chameleons have a third eye called the parietal eye. This is located on the very top of the head and looks like a very tiny milky scale. This is a fully functioning eye, however it is only able to detect light and dark such as shadows going overhead. This is part of their advanced warning system that allows them to see birds of prey flying over head. They act accordingly by darting into the foliage out of sight and relative safety.

is this true?

Actually, from what I've been told by a UCLA professor, humans also have/had a parietal eye but through evolution it moved deeper into the head/brain.

I had a professor who was/is convinced that jet lag could be cured by blasting people just off their flights with high intensity light on the temples - he said that would reach the parietal eye and reset the internal clock.

I agree. If I have to fly again soon I want to fly on that pilots planes. At least I know he has what it takes.

Would you believe that pilot was a she? She did an interview last night on the news.

sorry but no, that was his wife that gave that interview. the pilot was a he, an ex military jet fighter pilot Chesley B. Sullenberger "sully".

edit: "everyone knows women cant fly planes."

Back
Top Bottom