thermal burns?

jdcham

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female Veiled Chameleon, around 1.5 years, been in my care since July 2011.
Handling - Occasional hand feed 2-3 times/wk
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, Superworms, Fruit/Vegetables. What amount? 12 Crickets 1-2 Supers/day. What is the schedule? Once a day. How are you gut-loading your feeders? Using Nature Zone Cricket Total Bites
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium w/o D3 every other day, Reptivite once/wk
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? MistKingHow often and how long to you mist? 4 times/day 30 sec each. Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Normal color, never tested.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Saved from pet shop, brought back to health.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 4x2x2 screen.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ZooMed clamp lamps with 75w Fluker's Reptasun, and a Bulbrite 100w Plant Grow.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Floor around 75 basking spots 85 and 90 overnight temp around 60.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Medim/High. Non-Digital Hygrometer.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, 3 Schefflerra, multiple Pothos, Ficus Bonsai, Rubber Tree, and several Philodendron.
Placement - Where is your cage located? My Bedroom. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Medium Traffic, Air Conditioning Vent on ceiling about 6 ft away from top of cage. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 8 or 9 ft.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Northeastern Pennsylvania

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Thermal burns.

I cant tel whether my cham has thermal burns or not. I recently put that 100 watt bulb in, and she usually gets very close to the 75, which is why I put the 100 in too. Attached are some pictures, can someone please tell me if my cham is getting burned by her lamps??

Attachments

• DSCN1046.jpg
    DSCN1046.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN1037.jpg
    DSCN1037.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCN1031.jpg
    DSCN1031.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 146
are you talking abotu the grey areas on her head and casque?
if so, it looks like normal coloring. the heads on veileds can get grey or even turn black over time.

However, I think you are way overfeeding her.
too much food and she can produce a very large clutch of eggs, fertile or not. (meaning she can lay without being mated) I would recommend not feeding supers daily, maybe once a week, and reduce her cricket intake to 3-5 large crickets every other day.
For you supplements- you should be using the calcium without d3 on every feeding, the reptivite 2x a month (not once weekly) and you need a calcium with d3 for 2x a month.
You shoudl also reduce her basking temp 83 tops, as this can also reduce the number of eggs she lays.

You should also go find sandrachameleons blog on gutloading. that store bought stuff is not great.
you should use fresh fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds to gutload your crickest with.

if so, it looks like normal coloring. the heads on veileds can get grey or even turn black over time.

too much food and she can produce a very large clutch of eggs, fertile or not. (meaning she can lay without being mated) I would recommend not feeding supers daily, maybe once a week, and reduce her cricket intake to 3-5 large crickets every other day.
For you supplements- you should be using the calcium without d3 on every feeding, the reptivite 2x a month (not once weekly) and you need a calcium with d3 for 2x a month.
You shoudl also reduce her basking temp 83 tops, as this can also reduce the number of eggs she lays.

Thanks, you're right I have been planning on cutting back on her feeding as I notice she is getting pretty big...when I first got her she was so skinny that it got me into the routine of feeding more than average. The reptivite has the d3 in it. She definitely does have eggs, though. I do have a bin set up, but she just hasn't decided to lay yet...this has me worried.

You should also go find sandrachameleons blog on gutloading. that store bought stuff is not great.
you should use fresh fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds to gutload your crickest with.

Yes, I had a discussion with Sandra a few days ago on the issue, but I'm on a budget and this will have to wait as I have a whole gallon of current gutload to use, but after it's gone I plan on switching to Dinofuel and also making my own gutload and freezing it.

Your help is appreciated...I was worried that my poor Mysty was getting burned.

Thanks, you're right I have been planning on cutting back on her feeding as I notice she is getting pretty big...when I first got her she was so skinny that it got me into the routine of feeding more than average. The reptivite has the d3 in it. She definitely does have eggs, though. I do have a bin set up, but she just hasn't decided to lay yet...this has me worried.

Yes, I had a discussion with Sandra a few days ago on the issue, but I'm on a budget and this will have to wait as I have a whole gallon of current gutload to use, but after it's gone I plan on switching to Dinofuel and also making my own gutload and freezing it.

tehe, double post.
And good, you really need to cut her back, if shes got eggs now... be prepared for alot.
I would look into getting some liquid calcium for after she lays, esp cuz i have a feeling its going to be a large clutch.
it can take 3-6 weeks from when they start to make eggs for her lay them, so dont panic yet.

if you have any veggies for yourself that maybe are too far gone for you to eat, but it hasnt molded yet, you can feed that.
also, contact your local grocery store, and ask them if you can go through their produce that they throw away, oftentimes its still edible, but it has a bruise or something on it that makes it so people wont buy it. but its still just fine to be consumed by people or bugs alike.

tehe, double post.
And good, you really need to cut her back, if shes got eggs now... be prepared for alot.
I would look into getting some liquid calcium for after she lays, esp cuz i have a feeling its going to be a large clutch.
it can take 3-6 weeks from when they start to make eggs for her lay them, so dont panic yet.

if you have any veggies for yourself that maybe are too far gone for you to eat, but it hasnt molded yet, you can feed that.
also, contact your local grocery store, and ask them if you can go through their produce that they throw away, oftentimes its still edible, but it has a bruise or something on it that makes it so people wont buy it. but its still just fine to be consumed by people or bugs alike.

I'm pretty sure she's had them for a while now...check out these links

https://www.chameleonforums.com/gravid-female-help-67608/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/new-cage-bin-67689/
^that's my old setup, lol looks a lot different now..but you can see the bin and a nice shot of her

Well if shes got them she should lay soon.
you can always go to a vet and have xrays taken to see if there are eggs.

Okay, thanks..i didn't know they could do that...can they remove them, too?

well yes and no.
an xray wil show if there are eggs, and a good herp vet can tell how far along they are, give or take.
if she is ready to lay, but wont/cant, they can give a shot of oxytocin which can induce her to lay. (kind of like inducing labor in a human woman)

if she becomes egg bound, they can perform surgery, and go in, remove the eggs. IF this happens, I would strongly recommend having her spayed at that point (which they can do) so you dont have to deal with eggs again.

The fruits and veggies from the grocery store is a great idea. But something tells me the FDA might have rules.
If gutloading is a financial concern, I would think a vet visit and xrays (even if it might be warranted)would be out of reach

The fruits and veggies from the grocery store is a great idea. But something tells me the FDA might have rules.
If gutloading is a financial concern, I would think a vet visit and xrays (even if it might be warranted)would be out of reach

I watched a show called big waste, and 4 five star chefs (bobby flay and anne berrel were two of them) had to cook food for 100 people using nothing but the foods that people through out. so like fruits from grocery stores.
they were perfectly edible, but because a small bruise was there, or it had a mark on the skin, people wouldnt buy it, so stores throw them out.
if they can do it on national tv, i dont see why we cant get that throw away food too!

this is a picture of her on december 15..looks gravid to me, what do you think?

Attachments

• 388111_327031940642796_100000079793319_1306617_546918079_n.jpg
    388111_327031940642796_100000079793319_1306617_546918079_n.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 139
Back
Top Bottom