The wait begins on 73 Veiled Eggs

Psi

I hope they don't all hatch at the same time, but they will, I can already feel it lol :rolleyes:

That's just one of the containers for them.
Geez.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 161
Congrats! That's ALLOT of eggs. I'd recommend cutting back on your female's food and heat. You might find this link helpful. http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

It could have been heat and but I don't think it had much to do with that.
We had the furnace off because it's May, and supposed to be decent out, so I had the reptile room closed.
So for a week to 10 days it was sitting around 85 ambient and sub 100 basking.
Furnace is back on now since it's still too frigging cold.

She's also not over fed at all.
She's 3 years old(maybe more) and this isn't her first time.

She climbed down to the bottom of her cage, scratched around a bit.
I put the laying bin in, she climbed up and started looking at it.
I covered her up, next morning she had laid them all without issue and was hoping for some food.

Her ambient should be in the mid to low 70's and her basking in the very low 80's. I keep my female's basking at 80 to 81. I would only feed 3 times a week 6 to 8 feeders depending on size. At the age of 3 or older I would not recommend breeding anymore. Let that poor girl rest.

Reactions: Hoj
so exciting, i think Jann has givin you some great tips, cant wait to see what hatches..

hoj

Her ambient should be in the mid to low 70's and her basking in the very low 80's. I keep my female's basking at 80 to 81.
That's what she's typically at (83-84 basking, 72-73 ambient).
It was either hot for a bit or really cold.
Which actually was probably more helpful to her while producing the clutch.
I would only feed 3 times a week 6 to 8 feeders depending on size. At the age of 3 or older I would not recommend breeding anymore. Let that poor girl rest.
She gets the same every other day, probably a total of 12-14 feedings a month.
She'll have one more breeding before she's retired in another 10 months or so if it looks like she can handle it.
The 3 females I have are currently on a 4 month cycle assuming they'll accept a male to breed. There's no chance I'm going to have 150+ eggs going ever.

I do what I can without starving them to maintain average clutch sizes, but I can't control what they produce 100%, reduce, sure, but this female didn't want anything to do with that.

Last edited:
IMHO the idea is to feed the female well for a couple of days after she lays the eggs and then cut the diet back until you know she's producing eggs again. I think this limits the number of follicles that ovulate so the clutch size will be smaller. Its just my theory. Its also my theory that if they are kept on that diet, they won't likely produce a clutch at all. All I can say is that it works for me.

IMHO the idea is to feed the female well for a couple of days after she lays the eggs and then cut the diet back until you know she's producing eggs again. I think this limits the number of follicles that ovulate so the clutch size will be smaller. Its just my theory. Its also my theory that if they are kept on that diet, they won't likely produce a clutch at all. All I can say is that it works for me.

Yup agreed.
I did 12, 10, and today 8, now I'll be skipping a day and back to her normal 6-8 depending on what I'm offering.

That really is an enormous amount of eggs. Congrats, and hope everything goes well with your female and eggs.

I would have liked to have seen a pic of her just before laying. She must have been enormous!!

That is going to be one heck of a nursery!!

Back
Top Bottom