The Perfect Cage....

Chill

Ok I've been tryin to design enclosures for my work for some time now. The ones i did build they love and people seem to like them too. But i was wondering what is it exactly that you guys all look for in a cage?? things i've been trying are a fresh-air scren type enclosure but also is planted on the bottom. So no need for major cleans, humidty stays normal and plenty of live plants to chill in. also fairly large in size and look good.

If anyone has any ideas at all please offer them up it can only help me out

Thanks

Chill

Truth be told they arent that expensive to build. Like 40$ 50$ for a nice cage so if i make em and people want them online id sell for cheap like 60$ or 70$ plus shipping... i dunno if thats ok. Its just i wanna know what to build into the cages.

I'll be happy to help you with this..
I am a designer (so i can give lots of pointers as far as aesthetic goes)

1. all screen cages.
2. the bottom should have some kind of pipe or a way to drain excess water
from water dripper or mister.
3. cage sides should be easy to be clamped with the light clamp.
4. no holes that allow small crickets or flies to escape.
5. easy access to the bottom
6. it'll be cool if there is some kind of contraption attached to the cage where
you can put the crickets into the contraption. and when you close the
contraption from the outside and slide it, another door open that allows
the cricket to hop away into the cage.
(one of the hectic thing is feeding time.. and my cage is absolute
nightmare especially for flies.)
7. On the top of the railing there is some kind of hook that allows you to
hang a shower curtain to cover the cage to reduce the stress of
chameleon when put in the high traffic room.

and i have many more ideas!
but that will cost you :p
lol.. just kidding..
I would be happy if i can sample the prototype..
Unless if we are talking business here :D in which i open to the idea too ;)

i have one cage that i bought used. Its kind of novel, in that it is a screen cage, with no bottom, screwed onto a plastic bin. Its great for locations where drainage is not convenient. You could install a valve to drain to a bucket or just use a soil substrate or coco fibre to absorb the water . Not efficient for a large setup of many cages, but great for someone with one or two cages.

Definitely drainage. Definitely slightly bigger holes in screen to help visibility.

Definitely drainage. Sturdy enough on top to hold all equipment.

Definitely drainage. eyelets or hooks inside for zip ties for fake plants, feeder cups, vines, branches, etc.

And definitely drainage. Any cage now being sold without them all pretty much have to be fitted to a drainage system anyway so it should just be built in.

I am open to bouncing ideas back and forth.

Definitely drainage. Definitely slightly bigger holes in screen to help visibility.

Definitely drainage. Sturdy enough on top to hold all equipment.

Definitely drainage. eyelets or hooks inside for zip ties for fake plants, feeder cups, vines, branches, etc.

And definitely drainage. Any cage now being sold without them all pretty much have to be fitted to a drainage system anyway so it should just be built in.

I am open to bouncing ideas back and forth.

Yes.. I add another one
DRAINAGE.

most of us, me anyway, do not have the space for inconveniently large and complex drainage system.
and substrate idea is not exactly perfect.

Yah drainage is a key component haha. And i also dont like the huge drainage systems. I have an idea. Basically a little slice of Jungle in your house. All screened, all planted, no need to clean. drainage should be fine easy access tot he bottom and whole cage. Built in humidty and heat gauges (maybe). Working on a way to put heating stuff in it to keo it warm. Literally you only have to buy this cage and lights. And the whole thing is made of sealed and stained wood so it looks good. Sound interesting??

Yah drainage is a key component haha. And i also dont like the huge drainage systems. I have an idea. Basically a little slice of Jungle in your house. All screened, all planted, no need to clean. drainage should be fine easy access tot he bottom and whole cage. Built in humidty and heat gauges (maybe). Working on a way to put heating stuff in it to keo it warm. Literally you only have to buy this cage and lights. And the whole thing is made of sealed and stained wood so it looks good. Sound interesting??

Sounds expensive. :p:D

Not really to tell you the truth. You think you might spend somthing close to 100$ dollars on a cage and all heat stuff anyway. Plus the lights... It only would cost me somthing like 40-50 to build so i could sell it for somthing like 60-70 dollars. So all in all its really not that bad.

Im thinking a L shaped cage. Im not sure what material to use, but the bottom part would be to raise humidity but be cooler, while the top part of the L would be the perch and or basking spot with more ventilation. The cham would also hunt on the bottom and get excercise. Better temp gradient.

Not really to tell you the truth. You think you might spend somthing close to 100$ dollars on a cage and all heat stuff anyway. Plus the lights... It only would cost me somthing like 40-50 to build so i could sell it for somthing like 60-70 dollars. So all in all its really not that bad.

Your time and shop overhead is only worth $20 an hour?

I can't see how you can buy the wood, screen, plumbing for the drainage system, incandescent socket, fluorescent fixture, stain, wiring, plugs, hardware, caulking, and plants for a cage for $50, then cut the wood, stain the wood, assemble the frames, install the screens, install the plants, install the lighting fixtures, wire the fixtures, assemble the waterproof bottom, install the drainage system etc. for only $20 of "profit".

Best of luck to you, but I don't see anyway all of that can be done well for that amount of money.

One thing I would definitely add would be areas where you can easily attach plants/vines/feeders. Especially on the sides of the cage. When you finally get your vines all set the way you want, you have to take the plants out to clean the cage and you mess it all up!!!

$40??

The perfect cage is a myth. A old legend..lol. I think we are all on that same quest. I cant fathom how you can make a cage for $40 and sell it for $60. I have been building a cage for over a month. I about $325 in the hole so far.
To answer you original question what do I look for DRAINAGE is the biggest obstacle. I would say the perfect cage is priceless...but if you could build exactly what I have in my head I would say it would go for $500 to $1000 :eek:

Back
Top Bottom