The new one.

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Well, a friend and I went an hour away to rescue three reptiles, one was a Bearded Dragon, with setup, the people couldn't keep him anymore because they had a baby. The over all care of the dragon seemed very good, but very dirty. He is now housed with my friend and visited their local herp vet. He has slight MBD and we are getting it new lights for him and giving him a varied diet that is supplemented/gutloaded. We also picked up a Savannah Monitor, that is probaby 2 1/2 feet in length, he has a giant abscess under his eye and burn marks, the people that gave him to us didn't have him more than a week, they took him from its previous home and then contacted us. He had his abscess drained and he is now in recovery. Last but not least and the main focus of this post is about a 2 1/2 year old female Veiled Chameleon, I posted a thread last week about her. I wasn't intending on taking her in when we arrived, but they showed me what she looked like, and what they kept her in. She hated everyone in her sight and no one dared to pick her up because she would snap at them and get very aggressive. They showed me the repulsive setup which was a hexagonal aquarium, with dirt on the bottom and improper lighting, some branches from outside, and vines. She had day and night bulbs and I doubt she was supplemented a day in her life. I think she might have a touch of MBD. Well, they brought her to me and I checked her over, she appears to have a burn on her left front arm and her casque as well, nothing super serious, but still nothing good. I had them put her back in her hibiscus tree that they had and I told them to let me think about it. As I was playing with the dog, I decided I would try to give her a better chance at life and a more varied and healthy diet rather than just crickets, waxworms and mealworms. I went to pick her up out of the tree, she wasn't too thrilled, super stressed, but she didn't hiss or gap at me.. The owners kind of got excited and asked how I picked her up so fast, gently and without getting bitten. I explained and proceeded to get the chameleon settled on my arm. We then traveled back with quite a few supplies, the entire 55 gallon setup for a bearded dragon, the bearded dragon itself, savannah monitor with its issues, and the female chameleon in search for a new home. We finally got back home and I took her to a hanging pothos and let her sleep the night away as it was about 9:30 PM. The following morning I got out my dusting cups, dubia roaches, superworms, and placed the food in the setup. I got her directly under the lights and she brightened up and went on eating her dusted feeders! I noticed that she is missing two toe nails that seem to have been ripped out when they attempted to pick her up. So now on to the few photos that I bugged her for the other night. I was weighing Darwin on the scale and they got a glimpse of each other. I believe she is receptive. It's been so long since I've seen Delilah, I am brushing up on the females care. :eek: I am happy to give her a happy and loving home and hope that she can have a great rest of her life no matter how long she has left. In some of the photos you will see Darwin on my other hand, he is about a foot away from her.

She is quite the large Chameleon. She weighs 115 grams, and is about 6 inches h/v and 11 inches h/t.

Attachments

• 102_1332.jpg
    102_1332.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 102_1333.jpg
    102_1333.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 102_1334.jpg
    102_1334.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 102_1335.jpg
    102_1335.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 138
She is very beautiful. She looks a lot better than I would have expected from what you described. I wish you both many years together:)

:) I love hearing happy endings. She was rescued and will live Happily Ever After. :D She has some nice colors and for not being very well taken care of looks pretty good. Maybe that means she's got some good genes.

She is a very nice looking lady. She needs a few months to make sure every thing is ok and sometime you might breed her with your guy.

Okay, so I couldn't find the exact thread, there are several. Most end up saying that the bumps could be abcesses, and some say they need to go to a vet.

Considering her living conditions, I would recommend a vet visit. Just to be safe :) She is lovely and one day maybe you can breed then:)

I'd love to breed her with Darwin in the future, but I will be waiting for quite some time before then. A vet checkup is in her future, so that way I can tell that she has nothing seriously wrong with her. Apparently she has only laid two clutches of eggs in her life. I am her third and finally home that she will be living with.

Just a few more.

Last night I was getting ready to go to sleep and I peered into her cage, and I seen her sleeping on the top branch neon green and her colors shinning brightly through the screen. You can see the black marks on her arm and her casque in this picture I believe.

Attachments

• 102_1341.jpg
    102_1341.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 151
  • 102_1340.jpg
    102_1340.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 102_1339.jpg
    102_1339.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 140
Glad that 3 reptiles got much better homes thanks to you. Best of luck with your girl and hope that the beardie and the monitor thrive as well. Thanks for rescuing them! :D

She doesn't look bad, in fact she looks quite good! And she is very pretty :) Glad you took her and gave her chance for longer and happier life!

There are 3 very lucky reptiles thanks to you and your friend! I hope all 3 of them make full recoveries. As for the chameleon, she is so pretty! She looked so much better than I would have expected, from hearing what she came from. I'm so glad she has a good home where she will be able to thrive and be happy. Those last pictures made me so glad bc she looks so peaceful and happy! I look forward to hearing her progress! Again, you and your friend did such a good thing. I know you already know that. I love hearing rescue stories!

You are doing a great job with her Zac! ;) Very nice of you to take her in and give her the loving home she deserves.

A few days late to reply, I've been recovering from surgery. Thanks so much for all of the kind compliments! The Savannah Monitor is healing from surgery with his abscess. He is now walking daily and being fed a strict diet to lower his weight from 9 pounds down to about 6 pounds and being given meds for his wound to heal. As for Bramble the Bearded Dragon he does have minor MBD in his back legs and we are slowly helping him heal and gain use of his back legs completely. He recently went on a hunger strike and refuses to eat.

Back
Top Bottom