The Daedalus & Azura Clutch Photo Thread

Olimpia

Biologist & Ecologist
This thread will be continuously updated in the coming weeks and months with photo updates as often as possible.

Yesterday, after 9 months and 17 days of nail-biting anticipation, I was extremely happy to see a tiny nose poking out of an egg during a quick look into the egg container. And then today after I came back from work I discovered that the little thing had made it out of the egg and was sitting on a sibling egg.

One out, only twenty left!

So here is the first photo of the first baby to hatch from my panthers, Daedalus and Azura.

october6firstbaby.jpg

And then requisite photos of the parents.

The Mom (Nosy Be x Ambanja x Sambava mix)

img8602jy.jpg

The Dad (Nosy Faly x Ambanja mix)

daedalusmay4.jpg

daedalusoutside14.jpg

yay! Babies!! how exciting and they should be awesome considering the great parents they come from!

Thank you ladies! It is very exciting, especially after waiting so long. Two eggs shrank and then molded over last week, and after cutting them open I saw that there was nothing inside except a rock-hard yellow blob, so I was worried that every egg would eventually turn out to be a long-lasting dud. But thankfully now I know that there are babies in there.

I will move the little guy (I think male) to his first baby cage tomorrow, and hopefully find another baby or two peeking out.

Your female is lovely, her lavenders are luscious. i know how much you wanted the babies, so it is great to see the first little neonate out. maybe you could name him neo?

CONGRATS!! Having little ones hatch out is always an exciting time. Hope they do well for you and looking forward to lots of pics as they develop!!

Thanks everyone! I will definitely be keeping one boy and one girl, but I may keep 2 boys, I'm not sure. The rest have been pre-reserved for months.

I tried to set up a webcam to watch them hatch from work (there is one more nose sticking out this morning) but I forgot to set the laptop's sleep mode to off, so.... But I hope to have the video streaming again tonight, so I will post the link and more baby photos.

Egg #2 is still thinking about it, so I suspect he might emerge during the night.

Here is baby #1 up and active. She's so tiny, you just can't imagine it until you see one in person, and she's not the first new-neonate I've ever seen.

october7firstbaby1.jpg

october7firstbaby25.jpg

october7firstbaby2.jpg

Another baby hatched out last night. He spent all day thinking about coming out and then 2 minutes after I set up a video camera but ran out to grab another light he decided to pop out.

I'm trying to do a fair bit of documentation about all the changes that happen to the eggs during this time. Yesterday, following the hatching of the first neonate nearly all the eggs began to sweat profusely, and the grey transparency on some of the eggs either appeared or became much more dramatic.

So in order, these are the photos from yesterday (October 8th) during mid-day, and they continue into the evening, when the second baby finally emerged.

october8eggs1.jpg

october8eggs2.jpg

october8eggs3.jpg

october8secondbaby1.jpg

october8secondbaby2.jpg

Today I had both babies outside for a little bit of natural sunshine. This is baby #2.

october9secondbaby1.jpg

october9secondbaby2.jpg

october9secondbaby3.jpg

And these are the eggs this morning (October 9th). You can see how much the eggs have reduced in size and several of these have slit at one end. I expect to see another 3 babies out either by tonight or tomorrow.

october9eggs1.jpg

Last edited:
Olimpia, this is soooo exciting!!!! Your going to get presents all week, I'm not sure I could make it to work!!!!!!
I'm getting baby fever!!!!!! I can't waitbto see more!!!!!! :)

Congrats Olimpia they look amazing! Thanks for your wonderful pictures too ;). Super exciting time.

Olimpia, this is soooo exciting!!!! Your going to get presents all week, I'm not sure I could make it to work!!!!!!
I'm getting baby fever!!!!!! I can't waitbto see more!!!!!! :)

Thank you both! It is very exciting! I've been trying to set up a webcam or something to watch them hatch from work or school but so far I always come across a technical problem. Today I'm going to be out of town and I can just imagine that 7 will take that opportunity to hatch! But I will set up a camera, this I swear!

Back
Top Bottom